Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Monsters  (Read 18484 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Ancient Monsters
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:36:12 pm »
I have put together a fun page about monsters on ancient coins, and I wonder if I have shown or listed them all?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/monster_coins.html

My page has Chimaera, Medusa and Cerberus; a hippocamp and a criocamp; a griffin and the Greek Sphinx; Pegasus and a centaur; a tailed satyr and two-faced Janus.  Missing so far are the Lernean Hydra, some snake-footed giants, a man-headed bull, and the sea-monsters Skylla and Ketos.  Those are the more expensive types!

Are there any more unnatural creatures shown on ancient coins that should be on my list?

(Griffin and Sphinx shown below ... a Republican denarius and a small bronze of Chios)

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Dominicus

• Praetorian
Re: Ancient Monsters
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:10:19 pm »
Thanks for sharing URL!  I had been to this page some time before (I believe), but it was worth walking through this nice garden again.

Dominicus

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:19:47 pm »
Nice idea (as usual!) What's the matter with the Phoenix and a dragon (winged snake) or Medusa (Gorgo)?

Best regards

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 06:31:55 pm »
Dominicus, I uploaded this page for the first time earlier today, so this was your first visit!  Glad you liked it.

Jochen, I left off the Phoenix because it is just a bird.  OK, it likes fire, but no lion's feet or goat's horns.  (There are reports of real birds that de-louse themselves by lighting matches.) 

A winged snake would be good; I didn't know they were on ancient coins until I looked on coin archives just now, and I'll add one to my "expensive" list!  Aha, Triptolemos' chariot has them too.

There are some odd snakes from Alexandria that I will also look into.

Medusa is already there on the page.  Thanks for the suggestions.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 06:39:36 pm »
Does the nemean lion count?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:40:35 pm »
Medusa I have overlooked! A winged snake is connected too to Asklepios who is riding on it.

Best regards

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 06:42:31 pm »
The Nemean lion is not your average lion, but doesn't have any unusual body parts.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 07:13:43 pm »
Now, browsing through my collection, I found the following three too: Triton on a coin of Ascalon, Glycon the snake-god and Pan with his goat-legs.

Best regards

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:20:27 pm »
Excellent suggestions, though I doubt I will be able to collect them all!  Thanks.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:30:17 pm »
Here's a generic monster for you.  Looks like there were a few of these guys running around sicily:

SICILY, Himera. Circa 420 BC. AR Litra (0.79 gm). Forepart of human-headed monster left / Nude male riding goat left. SNG ANS 172/173; SNG Copenhagen 309; Jameson 615. Lightly toned VF, surfaces a little grainy as usual. ($300)

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

(P.S. Almost looks like a rhyton doesn't it?)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 07:33:33 pm »
Echidna.

Sale: Triton V, Lot: 1775. Closing Date: Wednesday, 16 January 2002.  Estimate $2500 Sold For $2200  

EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius. 138-161 AD. Æ Drachm (23.74 gm). Year 4 (=140/141 AD). AYT [K T A]IL ADR ANTWNEINOC EYC-[E]B, laureate head right / Herakles and the monster Echidna: TETA-[P]TOY, Herakles, nude except for lion's skin around neck, advancing left, brandishing club over head and extending left arm from which several serpents dangle; anguipede giantess right at his feet to left, extending left hand and holding breast with right. Köln 1347; Dattari 2597, pl. XV; Milne 1681b; Voegtli 12e; Cornell 126 (this coin). EF for wear, green-brown patina, edge damaged in antiquity. ($2500)
From the David Simpson Collection. Ex Garrett Collection, pt. I (Numismatic Fine Arts/Bank Leu, 16-18 May 1984), lot 801.

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 02:51:16 am »

Here's a generic monster for you.

Now, that really is odd! Goaty horns, wings (that give it the look of a rhyton), and presumably there is a concept of something else at the rear end that we don't see.

And an actual Echidna, the mother of many of the other nasties.  Harpies too, thanks to Steve .. this is a very fruitful thread for me!

Incidentally, although words like "hippocamp" are said to end in the Greek for "monster," the Pocket Oxford Classical Greek Dictionary is not helpful. Kampos isn't in it, and the nearest words seem to relate to being curved or bent.  Does this really mean a warped creature, perhaps?  Or is that a modern interpretation of "bent"?

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 03:15:04 am »
A great idea and page --   :)

What about an Agathadaemon (perhaps even one with Uraeus as well?) -- I think you can pick up an Alexandrian one of the former fairly reasonably - not sure how abundant the second is - though I have seen examples but it may not be "abnormal" enough.

Malcolm

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:02 am »
Hi Moonmoth!

With the etymology of hippocampos you are right. Greek 'kampo' = 'I bend'. So the hippocampos is a 'bent horse'. It was the name of the sea-horse, Lat. equus marinus. Pausanias writes "a horse which from the chest on is similar to a sea-monster (ketoi)".

I have added a coin with the Skylla on the rev.: Bithynia, Nikomedia, Plautilla, Gen. Rec. 253

Best regards

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 06:41:40 am »
Hmm, a snake wearing a hat and possibly also a smaller snake; that's probably more humorous than monstrous, but I will keep an eye open for anything unusual.  Jochen, thanks for the etymology.

Bill

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 10:41:45 am »
I just realised that I already have a rather nice bearded snake, and of course I also have some snakes with ears, so I have added them to my page.  They are minor monsters, but definitely unnatural.

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 11:00:54 am »
Yes, and the snake has a fish-tail too!

Best regards

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 11:35:06 am »
Sharp eyes!

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 01:02:32 pm »
Here's Hercules and the Hydra!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:52 pm »
I love this one.  Looks like this one has a bit of everything:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=132839&AucID=158&Lot=160

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 01:50:01 pm »
Just your ordinary winged boar, with a .. hmm .. toothed beak?

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 02:00:22 pm »
...and deer or goat legs no?

If I really stretch I could go ahead and imagine that some of those feathers are fish scales.  Why not?

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 02:33:50 pm »
That was my first impression too.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar