Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How much is too much (when to stop cleaning under microscope)?  (Read 491 times)

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
How much is too much (when to stop cleaning under microscope)?
« on: November 12, 2022, 09:42:15 am »
Id like to get some opinions on when to stop cleaning under microscope. Here is an example of a coin that still shows some dirt under 20x, but the dirt isnt visible to the human eye (well, not my terrible eyes at least). On this example, leave it as it is, or go for completely clean and risk possible scratching? I work slow and meticulous so its not a matter of being scared to scratch it, but **** happens.

Thank you!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: How much is too much (when to stop cleaning under microscope)?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 06:47:04 pm »
I am no expert, but that looks pretty darn good to me.

Virgil

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 07:46:18 pm »
Thanks, Virgil. Here is the reverse. I think ill stop there until i get some direction from the pros about continuing.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 07:56:44 pm »
And that also looks pretty good to me and I am also interested in what the experts say, I have quite a few coins like this I am not sure I should be leaving alone or not. When in doubt, I always leave them alone.

Virgil

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 09:17:24 pm »
Agreed. Although I think I might be losing my mind a little bit…talking to him the whole time Im cleaning the reverse like “oh come on man, you know that wasn’t actually you dragging that barbarian around by the hair” 🤣

All coins are guaranteed for eternity