Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Greek Legend ΘKE - ROHΘ full words and English Translation  (Read 727 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Need help with the Byzantine Greek legend ΘKE - ROHΘ. What are the full words (assuming it is abbreviated) and the English translation? I am guessing, "God bearer, help us" based on the Virgin Orans. Thanks!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
This is a common in the Byzantine world short pray to the Mother of God.  The full form is as follows:
ΘEOTOKЄ BOHΘЄI TⲰ CⲰ ΔOVΛⲰ, short form ΘEOTOKЄ BOHΘЄI and means: "Mother of God (God-Bearer), help your servant" or in the short form simply "Mother of God, help!".

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks. The R for B threw me off.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
I myself do not understand why they used R instead of B for this word on coins. This is not an isolated mistake, but a common trend.  In general, another little mystery of Byzantine numismatics :).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity