Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 5 July!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 5 July!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Greek Legend ΘKE - ROHΘ full words and English Translation  (Read 86 times)

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Need help with the Byzantine Greek legend ΘKE - ROHΘ. What are the full words (assuming it is abbreviated) and the English translation? I am guessing, "God bearer, help us" based on the Virgin Orans. Thanks!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
This is a common in the Byzantine world short pray to the Mother of God.  The full form is as follows:
ΘEOTOKЄ BOHΘЄI TⲰ CⲰ ΔOVΛⲰ, short form ΘEOTOKЄ BOHΘЄI and means: "Mother of God (God-Bearer), help your servant" or in the short form simply "Mother of God, help!".

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks. The R for B threw me off.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
I myself do not understand why they used R instead of B for this word on coins. This is not an isolated mistake, but a common trend.  In general, another little mystery of Byzantine numismatics :).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity