Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bought a coin from a seller listed on the fake coin seller list  (Read 2030 times)

jec116

Bought a coin from a seller listed on the fake coin seller list
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:12:40 am »
Hello brethren,

I am not a coin collector, I collect banknotes. However, while writing an article on my website, I read that the history of coins started somewhere in Aegina or Ephesus. This got me really interested, and it made me want to buy a coin from Aegina. The one with the turtle.

So I bought the coin, and showed it to a friend. Then he asked me who I bought it from, I answered: "saxbys-coins". So he goes on this website and looks for the name in the fake coin sellers list, and wouldn't you know it? The guy is on that list.

Now I just wanted to make sure if this coin is really fake. I have no interest in buying fake coins as the authenticity of this coin is basically what makes me want to buy it.

I attached a picture of the coin. Please help me in this matter.

Thanks to all.

Additional information:

Ar Silver composition
18.0 mm Diameter
9.66 grams weight
VF ( very fine ) grade
Uncleaned

jec116

Re: Bought a coin from a seller listed on the fake coin seller list
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:17:03 am »
Here is the reverse of the coin.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 02:34:21 pm »
Get your money back. Quickly. Saxby's will usually refund in the hopes buyers won't leave neg feedback. If he doesn't refund your money go through Ebay or Paypal and as a last resort your credit card company if that's how you paid.

Then please leave negative feedback. Do not say anything negative about Saxby's, only that the coin was determined to be fake. 

jec116

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:59:40 pm »
Alright, thank you. I'm working on the matter right now. As I don't collect coins (yet), I thought Ebay was just full of honest sellers.

Any idea where to get a good deal on a not-too-expensive, authentic and possibly even graded version of this coin?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:10:51 pm »
Well, before you do that, I would recommend more research into the origin of money.  The attached coin type is usually identified as the first coin type issued.  I've never heard Aegina as the first type.  

IONIA, Uncertain. Circa 650-600 BC. EL Hekte – 1/6 Stater (8mm, 2.40 g). Milesian standard. Striated type. Flattened striated surface / Double incuse square punch. Weidauer 6; Traité I 12; SNG Kayhan 680 (same punches).

The Aegina turtle coins are great, don't get me wrong.  But if your interest is the earliest origins of coinage, the Ionia electrum pieces of an uncertain mint are the way to go.

Joe, the owner of this site, does not have any Aegina coins for sale at the moment.  If you do buy one, go through a reputable source- not eBay.

Nick

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:22:04 pm »
The Aegina that started this thread doesn't look fake, at least not from this rather poor photo.

Aegina turtles, the early issues, were the first European coins, not the first coins. All others before the first Aegina staters were issued in Asia.

Barry Murphy

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:53:28 pm »
Though it is hard to tell if the coin is definitively a fake judging by the photos the seller provided, rest assured it not worth the risk.  This seller has sold this exact coin multiple times over the past few months, along with a couple others that all appear the same with some differences that could be from the casting process.  I believe that they are all fakes and created using the same mold. 

Here is a link to that shows you his past sales of these coins:  http://goo.gl/G4lzjJ

You might find a few low-price authentic coins being offered by this seller, but the majority are modern fakes.  Given the reputation this seller has even if you are 100% certain a coin is authentic you would only be funding his fraudulent activities, so it's best to avoid him at all costs.   

A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 06:10:20 pm »
Though it is hard to tell if the coin is definitively a fake judging by the photos the seller provided, rest assured it not worth the risk.  This seller has sold this exact coin multiple times over the past few months, along with a couple others that all appear the same with some differences that could be from the casting process.  I believe that they are all fakes and created using the same mold. 

Here is a link to that shows you his past sales of these coins:  http://goo.gl/G4lzjJ

You might find a few low-price authentic coins being offered by this seller, but the majority are modern fakes.  Given the reputation this seller has even if you are 100% certain a coin is authentic you would only be funding his fraudulent activities, so it's best to avoid him at all costs.   

They certainly all look like identical casts.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 06:21:06 pm »
If those are all different coins then they are all obviously fake. If it's the same coin relisted over and over then it's tough to tell from these photos.

Barry Murphy

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 08:12:12 pm »
Sold by fake seller coinauction12 out of Cyprus recently. Also a die match.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:34:56 pm »
Two different sellers pretty much confirms that they are all fake.

Barry Murphy

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 12:14:40 am »
Alright, thank you. I'm working on the matter right now. As I don't collect coins (yet), I thought Ebay was just full of honest sellers.

Any idea where to get a good deal on a not-too-expensive, authentic and possibly even graded version of this coin?

He doesn't have any turtles but he does have some nice old electrum.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/zoompg.asp?id=82016

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/zoompg.asp?id=82013

If you buy from a good dealer like Forvm, you do not need to get your coins graded, just a waste of money.

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:41 am »
The countermark looks very strange as well. If you like turtles look out for auctions in sixbid.com, numisbids.com or coinauctionbid.com, or online shops like Joe's that is hosting this forum as well. A similar VF- countermarked ealry turtle should cost in the range of 300-700 depending on various parameters such as the centering. Don't spend your time in ebay if you are not an expert; not easy to find a bargain and most high grade coins being sold for 4 or 5 digit figures are coming from earlier auctions and the sellers try to get a 50-100% profit.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »
Hi mihali,

When I clicked on that link, it blew my mind. They are all the same coin!!!

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 07:57:59 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Krispos

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 11:28:10 pm »
Warning to all not buying from reputable dealers like Joe and Forum Ancient Coins. I acquired 5,000 worth of fake coins last year via Ebay. The sellers vanished; Ebay gave me the proverbial finger. I dragged Ebay into court and won a stunning victory with the court ordering Ebay to pay me the lost monies and protect their buyers. So.... in the end Ebay and other vendors are liable for their products they pawn under U.S law. However it was a hellish campaign and rather than any of you go through it, just stick with sites like this for coin purchases, or know your fakes.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity