Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kosmas, Apo Eparchon and Apokrisiarios  (Read 437 times)

Strategos A

Kosmas, Apo Eparchon and Apokrisiarios
« on: December 02, 2021, 12:49:15 am »
Here is a seal for Kosmas, Apo Eparchon and Apokrisiarios.  Apokrisiarios, from what I can gather, is pretty uncommon to see on a seal.  Dumbarton Oaks only has 3 in their database and 1 of them has other possible interpretations.  I could not find any previously sold ones listed on ACSearch

Apokrisiarios is a title that seems to have multiple meanings.  The Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium lists this position as a messenger or representative of a bishop or head of a monastery that deals with higher authorities.  It seems these higher authorities could be clergy higher in the Church hierarchy (like the Patriarch), but the main function was to represent provincial churches at the imperial court. 

Oxford lists another meaning as a diplomat/ambassador to foreign nations.  In my search, I also came across a role that seems to be more akin to imperial mailman than ambassador exactly.  I found that St. Theodore Of Sykeon's father was an imperial messenger from Justinian.   On several Greek language sites, the term apokrisiarios is actually explained as the Greek word for mailman.

Does anyone have any other info to share on this obscure position?  Has anyone seen any other seals besides the ones listed on Dumbarton Oaks?

I take it from the title Apo Eparchon, this is not a church official, so he must be a diplomat or imperial messenger.  Can anyone estimate the aproximate date for this seal?  It is 28.6 mm and 16.2 grams. 

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Kosmas, Apo Eparchon and Apokrisiarios
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 04:08:03 am »
I think you pretty much found the answers to all of your questions. An apokrisiarios was an emissary or ambassodor. There are many apokrisiarioi known from documentary sources, most of whom acted as ambassadors from the patriarchates (including the pope in Rome) to the eucumenical councils in Constantinopolis. The term was also used for 'worldly' ambassadors, as you noticed. DO and Zacos/Veglery have seals belonging to an 'imperial apokrisiaios', which means he was employed by the emperor. Date is 8th century.
Regards
Gert

Strategos A

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 07:21:01 am »
Thanks for the information Gert.  Am I understanding correctly that of the worldly ambassadors, some would be simple message carriers and others would be more like what we would think of ambassadors today (negotiate trade terms, peace terms, etc.)? 

By the 8th century, Apo Eparchon would strictly be a dignity, is that correct?  I know this would eventually be a pretty low ranked dignity.  Would it be safe to assume Kosmas here was probably just a letter carrier given his low dignity, or could he possibly have had more ambassador-like functions?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:37:44 am »
I don't think that these apokrisiarioi were simple message carriers. They would probably be closer to what you would think of with the term 'ambassador'. That being said, I doubt we have much source material for the office in the 'worldly' version. Maybe the few seals are all we have for 8th century. But you can transpose what we know of their clerical counterparts to them. They will have received a mandate within which they could represent their prelate or the emperor.

Apo eparchon was indeed a dignity. It is becoming more modest during the 8th century, but this is relative - even the most modest 8th century seal owners belonged to the most upper strata of society.
Regards
Gert

Strategos A

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 08:53:29 pm »
Thanks again Gert, really appreciate the clarification on the role of the apokrisiarioi.   +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity