Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus long neck  (Read 1100 times)

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
Gallienus long neck
« on: January 05, 2016, 10:56:27 am »
I have this Gallienus with Uberitas reverse possibly RIC 585.  The coin is 19mm., 2.9 g. 
The length of the neck and unnatural looking head makes me wonder if it might be an imitative coin except that the reverse seems normal to me.
Your thoughts appreciated.
Norm

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
Re: Gallienus long neck
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »
Perhaps no one wants to comment on this subject.  However I have been looking at other coins and the subject has come up before and no mention that it was anything but a die engravers style and not an imitative coin.  Perhaps that is the case here. 
Norm

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:45:55 am »
Hi Norman,  I've looked over many Gallienus coins and personally feel that his coin styles have some of the most varieties among Roman coins.  In one uncleaned batch a friend of mine found very small ( <15cm) coin, and have a strange one with a tiny head and sandy patina under which is still silvering.  Funny, but it always makes me imagine that he looked odd in real life because of some of the odd-looking coins.

Matt

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:54:58 am »
I don't think it is imitative at all.  It looks fine to me.  I am sure that I have seen such busts in Gobl's book on Gallienus' coinage.

Gallienus' coinage was struck in staggeringly huge numbers, especially as much of it seems to have been struck in his last few years, AD 266 - 268.  They must therefore have employed a fair number of engravers.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:20:12 am »
Thanks Matt & Shawn.
I agree that Undoubtedly there must have been a huge number of engravers with the vast number of coins minted as attested to by the number which are still being found.  Some of the coins have such striking detail its hard to imagine they were able to produce that quality of coinage and yet others are like this coin.  It's another reason why ancient coins are so interesting.
I have recently come across several really nice brockage coins and as soon as they arrive I will share them.
Norm

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:41:40 pm »
This is the link to the brockage coins.  Any comments appreciated.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5939
Norm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity