Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Ring with Foot-Shaped Bezel from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 1135 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Roman Ring with Foot-Shaped Bezel from Caesarea Maritima
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:26:47 pm »
Hi all.  Here is a very tiny bronze ring from Caesarea engraved with what I think could only be an arrow piercing the "evil eye".  I don't know how to date this since, when I lived there, men from the nearby village still carried crab claws or other sharp things, as protection against it!  The ring is so small it could only have been worn by an infant, or on a loop.  I am guessing early Islamic period, but anything is possible.  Any ideas or references would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jimi.

BCC MA7
Bronze Ring Amulet
Uncertain Date
Very tiny bronze ring engraved with an
arrow piercing an “evil eye”
15x11mm. wt.0.74gm.
Original inside diameter:
approximately 10-13mm.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Roman Ring with Foot-Shaped Bezel from Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 02:28:58 pm »
Hi, all.  I am bumping this old topic because I have given it another look and changed my interpretation.  Rather than a very tiny ring with an "evil eye" motif.  I think it is foot (plantis pedis), sandal, or shoe-shaped bezel with an uncertain engraved design, possibly an anchor or a sprouting seed?  Any other information or ideas on this motif and class of object would be most appreciated. 

Thanks, Jimi

Similar example from Caesarea:

Amorai-Stark, Hershkovitz, “Gemstones, Finger Rings, and Seal Boxes from Caesarea Maritima, The Hendler Collection”, #442 c. Shay Hendler, Tel Aviv 2016

And three from the British Museum:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/G_1917-0501-646
https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/G_1917-0501-1390
https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_AF-207

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 11:40:11 am »
Search sandal fibula for an interesting parallel.

The fibula, often with enamel design, were supposed to represent soldiers caligae - sandal-boots.  They usually had a dot motif was is thought to represent the nails.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 11:53:38 am »
That's amazing!  Thank you , Shawn.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity