Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julia Domna, Tomis - Reference Appreciated  (Read 1279 times)

Jericho

Julia Domna, Tomis - Reference Appreciated
« on: August 20, 2005, 07:18:45 pm »
Another coin for my collection.  I'm hoping somebody might be able to give me a reference for this?  I'm unable to find an exact match online.  Thanks in advance.

Julia Domna
obv: Draped bust right
rev: Zeus seated left holding phiale and long scepter
8.97 grams. AE25.
Struck 193-217 A.D. at Tomis

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Julia Domna, Tomis - Reference Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 01:23:37 am »
Regling, AMNG I, 2, p. 728, no. 2804.  Æ23  IOULIA DOMNA SE (in Greek letters).  Rev. Zeus seated l. in himation, a patera in his outstretched right hand, his left on his scepter; backless throne, with footstool.  METR PO N TOMEOS (in Greek) and in the upper left field  :Greek_Gamma: for 3.  Regling's specimen from Count Soutzo's collection weighed 7.90g.  Never mind; Tomis weighed metal a little more carefully than most, but not very carefully, since bronze is not a noble metal: the moentary value is not the value of the metal as such.
Patricia Lawrence
I'm not sure of that footstool.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity