Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scarce Antoninus Pius Provincial?  (Read 1246 times)

Jericho

Scarce Antoninus Pius Provincial?
« on: August 18, 2005, 03:06:43 pm »
Here's a coin in route to me... It's my first coin from Cilicia, Mopsos-Mopsuestia (I think) and I wonder how scarce, if at all, this coin/mint is?  Thanks for any information.

Cilicia, Mopsos-Mopsuestia
obv: bare head right
rev: Athena standing, holding Victory and leaning on shield
Struck Year 207= 139/ 40 AD.
AE 24 (9.65 gm)
SNG France 1974

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: Scarce Antoninus Pius Provincial?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 09:31:26 pm »
Can't say much on the rarity, but what a great coin!! I love that Green and black patina!

Jericho

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 09:57:22 pm »
Thanks  ;D.  I got it for a price I couldn't resist too.  It's in great style and the reverse is what sold me on it.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 10:38:27 pm »
     Seems to be a scarce city, and interesting because its coins are usually dated.  Von Aulock published a corpus of the coinage of Mopsus in a 1963 article, of which however I do not have a copy.
     Paris has four coins like yours, from two different pairs of dies.  The first two coins are of year ZC = 207 =139/40 AD, the second two of year HC = 208 = 140/1 AD.  Levante 1336 has one, year HC, from a different die pair than the two corresponding Paris coins.
     Your coin seems to be from different dies than the Paris and Levante coins.  Can you read the date, which should be either ZC or HC horizontally, immediately to the right of Athena's shield?
Curtis Clay

Jericho

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 10:50:52 pm »
Thank you Curtis!  When the coin is in hand I'll be able to verify the letters and thus the date (hopefully).  The dealer has it as year 207 so I'll assume he's correct that it reads ZC according to the info you kindly provided.  As always, I greatly appreciate your information!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity