Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting follis . Nicephorus III ?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Interesting follis . Nicephorus III ?
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:45:25 pm »
anyone recognize this coin 22mm  2.7 gr

Offline byzcoll

• Caesar
Re: Interesting follis . Nicephorus III ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:12:24 am »
Hi,

it looks like being from the time of Nicephorus III, but it does not fit the types of official folles. Also the style is very crude. May be it is imitative or from one of the usurpers of the time.

byzcoll

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:42:26 pm »
It's already for three or four months, I fry mine mind trying to find any information about this coin i posted it in several forums , two in this one ( https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=78325.msg491500#msg491500 ) , and asked few coin dealers . No luck , nobody don't know what is it . I found a few coins a bit like mine , but only slightly. This another one from CNG  , listed as Theodore Gabras(?). Duke of Trebizond, circa late 1080s-1126  (22mm, 1.80 g )  . And  again not exactly like mine , but I think close .

Hi,

it looks like being from the time of Nicephorus III, but it does not fit the types of official folles. Also the style is very crude. May be it is imitative or from one of the usurpers of the time.

byzcoll
So, maybe it's the right direction  ???

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:55 pm »
 Almost year later , I finally found two others coins of this type . Both from John J. Slocum collection .The owner of this two coins and I   came to the conclusion that this coins is most probably unknown crusader issue and probably from Edessa , as we find similar reverse crosses on Edessian coins  . Also we found that our coins have on obverse IC - X ,  instead of IC-XC .  I hope that more examples , with a provenance,  will point to the area of  issue .

22.8mm,  2.20g                                         20.6mm, 2.77g                                       22mm, 2.7 g

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:56:41 pm »
Another example of this coin  has turned up . 24 mm . Weight unknown .  All this coins come from the same area - Lebanon, Syria .

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 03:11:04 pm »
And another one . I think that the  owner is from Lebanon , and all his coins very likely came from the  local finds .
19 mm.  ,  1.65 gr.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:35:34 pm »
Another one . 2,1 g ; 19 mm
Note that all coins have  characteristic IC - X ,  instead of IC-XC .

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:46:21 am »
Interesting!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:12:36 am »
 Yes I agree ,
 It is very interesting..

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity