Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julia Domna Dopundius?  (Read 676 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Julia Domna Dopundius?
« on: August 04, 2021, 09:05:26 pm »
Hi all this one is driving me a bit  ??? ???

i think it´s Julia Domna and a dopundius, and i thought it was RIC 844, but i think wrote it wrong a long time ago.
I hope someone can help me. Thank you cheers Kim

Coin info:
Dupondius?
Weight.12.4 gram
Size: 2.5 cm.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Julia Domna Dopundius?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 02:05:01 am »

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:54:10 am »
Thank you Pekka, RIC IV 844, i did a search on Asearch before writing asking here, Hmm.. Cheers Kim

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 06:49:25 pm »
These coins can be dupondii or asses, as crescents under the bust to distinguish dupondii were only used from Julia Mamaea onward. The weight can be the same for both. If you want to know for sure, you might want to make a tiny scratch on the edge with a hard metal tip; be sure to make it TINY, just enough to judge the colour of the metal. If the metal is red, it's an as; if it's yellow, it's a dupondius.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 03:03:08 pm »
Hi Rupert!
I prefer not to scratch my coins and by experience I find asses to be mostly under 10 grams. Since Augustus, dupondii should weigh just as much as asses, but very many dupondii are 'on the heavy side' . Here we have over 12 grams, so in my opinion that should be a dupondius.

Frans

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 03:18:02 pm »
Hi Frans, I think we are both right here. Do NOT do this with a precious coin in beautiful condition.
I did this once, to a badly worn but very rare early Iulia Soaemias middle bronze (which RIC Elagabal 401 calls an as) with reverse MATER DEUM which cost me 5 Euros (and that's exactly what it looks like). The barely visible half-millimetre scratch will IMO not devaluate the coin, but allows me to call it a dupondius. I did it for science. ;-)

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity