Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nummus  (Read 1734 times)

a

Nummus
« on: April 21, 2004, 01:55:50 pm »
Hi All,

My question is how rare are the byzantine nummies? Except small number of these coins on the web despite their low values, coins of 1 nummus are not appear not in on-line catalogs nor on e-bay auctions. May be the reason their little popularity among collectors? Or may be the number of these coins in fine condition is too small?
For me, it is very interesting type of Byzantine coiniage. I want to learn more about them.
I was wondering if you would be interested to upload the pictures of 1 nummus coins from your collections together with their attribution? It is can be good project to list all types of 1 nummus coins here.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re:Nummus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 12:24:40 pm »
I don't recall ever having a 1 nummus coin.  The nummus was more a unit of account than a denomination.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

a

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 12:40:35 pm »
This one from Cartago Mauricie Tiberius:

O: Emperor bust
R: Palm tree

corvus

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 06:09:31 am »
indeed they did have 1 hummus as coin, but most prob. coin was used at beginning of Anastasius reform until 498 AD and later in 512 AD when weights of 40 nummus (M); 20 nummus (K) and decanummum (I) were doubled and therefore pentanummus (E) was added and also minting of nummi (A) was resumed...  Most prob. they continued to struck those one nummi coins until VII century when decline of follis appeared (M from 25 grams to 3 grams only during Constans II!!). We still can follow that decanummia and pentanummia were last struck in middle years of reign Constantine V (741-797 AD) and NORMAL half-folles (K) during Leo IV (775-780 AD); the half-folles of Constantine IV (780-797 AD) were half the size of his folles but with same design, despite the obvious inappropriateness of the numeral M. Dating had abandoned apprx. half century earlier with meaningless XXX NNN have substitute for the ANNO and numeral. Theophilus finally abandoned also the mark -M-  in favour of an inscription in several lines that filled the field...

You can not find those one nummi coins much because they were almost valueless contemporary time of Byz. empire, so nobody stored them and nobody even wanting them...making them actually more valuable those days :)

acv

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 12:58:55 pm »
How about 2 nummia(ies???)  Or are you only looking for the single value?

a

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 11:58:55 am »
Thanks,

This one is Justinian I nummi from Carthage:

O: Emperor bust
R: Six rayed star in wreath.

Berk 211

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 04:52:22 pm »
The last nummus was in circulation during Tiberius Maurice's reign and it is unlikely to have had an important economic role until that moment. Also, I have one suggestion for the byzantine board-let's try to use the latin/greek form for the denominations
For example we should abandon the form nummies or nummia or nummum and settle for the original ones either greek or latin, the later being one nummus/two nummi or the greek noumion/noumia.  Other correct forms are pentanummium/a; decanummium/a; dodecanummium/a; solidus/solidi.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity