Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justin II help? Confirmation  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Justin II help? Confirmation
« on: February 23, 2004, 07:40:53 pm »
My dealer has described this coin as follows.

this an issue of Khersonessos (Anokhin catalog of Khersonessos coins#319) Crimean peninsula Justin II (565-578 AD) copper 4 pntanummii.

And has indicated that the coin is quite rare.

I am looking for confirmation on both points.

TIA

a

Re:Justin II help? Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 05:50:36 am »
It should be right. See the similar coin at:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Explorer

Loukianos

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 07:51:09 am »
The ancient attribution of this type was Maurice Tiberius, as you can see in Sear (#603 to 611). Now reattributed to Justin II when the legend is "Chersonos", as in your coin. Very rare. A beautiful one has been sold $4250 in dec 1989 (Berk-England, Byzantine coins - public auction in New-York - #79).

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 08:04:52 pm »
Thanks, for the Help explorer and Loukianos!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity