Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Theophilus  (Read 1528 times)

millimoo

Theophilus
« on: August 26, 2004, 02:46:44 pm »
I know nothing about Byzantine coins, but I saw one of then in the museum at Manchester, and I loved it!  It was of Theophilus, and I have a soft spot for any Theo coins.

Does the Sear book have much on his coins, are does anyone know of any other reference that coveres him better?

Finally, if anyone has any of his coins, I would love to see some pictures!

Many thanks, Dave

vic9128

Re:Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 02:54:06 pm »
Have you seen the Wildwinds pics yet? Here is a link.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/theophilus/t.html

millimoo

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 03:15:39 pm »
Thanks for the link.  These are great, the style is very strange to my eyes, but I might be a Byzantine convert!

millimoo

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 03:23:16 pm »
Theophilus Gold Solidus. Syracuse. Bust facing, with short beard, in crown & loros, & holding cross potent / Bust facing, with short beard, in crown & chlamys, & holding globe cross.  

Picture & text from wildwinds.

(They look a bit expensive though!)

Dave :-)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 10:14:35 am »
You can get really nice coppers for under $75.00, Forum had a really nice one and if you hunt around they are not too hard to find.

As for books, if you really want to specialize get the DOC volume that covers this time period. Volume 3 I think. Other than that Sear #s are the best to communicate with other collectors. Also for a really good overview check out Wayne Sayles book on Romanion/Byzantine coinage, it will answer a lot of questions.

BTW , Byzantine coins are addictive ,As for looks  it's like comparing abstract art to the classical realism ( Roman.). It is one of the last great fields of Ancient Coins and you can easily make new discoveries.  Welcome to the club. 8)
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

millimoo

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 04:45:55 pm »
Thanks Simon,

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is DOC?

I've just found the CNG site for the first time, and they have a few of the gold coins too.  I just need to win the lottery...

EmpressCollector

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 06:11:48 pm »
DOC stands for Dumbarton-Oaks Collection.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity