Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chinese Counterfeiter's Cash Mold  (Read 2058 times)

Offline kklinejr

• Consul
  • RESTITVTOR CRISPVS NOBILISSIMVS CAESAR
Chinese Counterfeiter's Cash Mold
« on: November 30, 2003, 02:54:36 pm »
As I continue to open up more and more closets where I have been storing odds and ends for years now, I newly rediscover items I had, quite honestly, forgotten about.  Below is a portion of an ancient counterfeiter's casting mold for Han dynasty coins (ca. 175 BCE).  The coins in the mold are no doubt Pan Liangs.  I picked this up from an antiquities dealer years ago.  Now, since we're "cleaning house", I may have the room to put it out on display with some other artifacts.

Ken

183mm x 118mm x 112mm
Donate unwanted ancient coins to your local schools and watch ancient history come alive!

buu

Re:Chinese Counterfeiter's Cash Mold
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 01:33:38 am »
Interesting artifact!
I read somewhere that counterfeiters in ancient China that were caught, instead of being punished by say, execution, were forced to work for the mint making real ones! I'm not sure exactly which time period this was though...

Bogdan C

Re:Chinese Counterfeiter's Cash Mold
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 04:24:05 am »
...and I guess that this punishment was worse than death for those counterfeiters!!  ;D  ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity