Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this a Vandalic coin?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Is this a Vandalic coin?
« on: September 26, 2004, 07:57:43 am »
Hello,

This coin came in a lot of late Roman bronze and I've been wondering what it was. I just encountered a similar coin on the net that attributed the monogram to Vanalic king Hilderic. So my question is: are there Vandals-experts on the boards that tell me a little bit more about my coin? For example, is this really a Vandalic coin and where does the monogram stand for?

Best regards,
Gert

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re:Is this a Vandalic coin?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 08:01:45 am »
This is the coin I found:

ID:
Vandals, Hilderic, early 6th century AD, AE Nummus. Bust rt., no inscriptions/ Monogram in wreath, La Monete Della Sardegna Vandalica 93-95. aVF, clear monogram, rare

Seems to be it!

Best regards,
Gert

a

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 11:31:10 am »
Hi,

This is Justinianus I (527-565), nummus, Carthago mint

OBV: Bust right. REV:Large A. SB 281
 8)
Explorer

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 11:45:01 am »
If this is Byzantine, why does the seller attribute the second coin to the Vandals? It's true they were in Carthage at the beginning of Justinian's reign, but he kicked them out of Africa. I wonder if there's any basis for this attribution.

Best regards,
Gert

a

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 12:01:35 pm »
Hi Gert,

I don't know the reason for this attribution, but the symbol appears on both coins is "A" (greek denomination of one nummus) and not monogramm. Both Sear and Berk recognized this coin as Byzantine nummus of Justinianus from Carthage.

Explorer

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 02:26:51 am »
Thanks!

Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity