Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: not romans  (Read 3372 times)

Offline chuck p

• Praetorian
  • 2000 years and they are still with us!
not romans
« on: August 31, 2004, 01:43:37 am »
have no idea of what these are. any help would be appreciated
protect history...but allow us our trinkets

Offline chuck p

• Praetorian
Re:not romans
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 01:46:56 am »
the small coin is about 10mm, reverse is smooth...larger one is about 13.5mm

Offline Ed Flinn

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
    • Gallienus and more
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 12:08:49 pm »
The small one looks similar to this coin I got from an uncleaned lot:

(obverse right, reverse left)

I saw one like it (now gone) on a seller's site that listed it as Ummayad, c. 750 AD, copper fals, Ramlah, no date, palm tree / crescent with dot in center, SNAT-65, BMC-855+

Offline chuck p

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 11:48:47 pm »
thanks for the info. mine doesn't have the dot in center and i believe it is orichrulum (however you say that word). It does look very much like yours though so I guess it's time to start researching. Now that I have a place to start. Thanks again. chuck

Offline chuck p

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 12:23:39 am »
Having rediscovered these two a couple of days ago, I have done a little close up scrutiny and believe the little fellow on the left is actually the top of a ring. The bottom is completely flat and devoid of even the hint of any detail. Along the bottom edges at 180 degrees appears that something was broken off. Almost sprue like in appearance. I think I will close the book on this one and leave it at that.    Now my only problem is the coin on the right. I think this is definately a coin. Does anyone recognise the "stylized cross" or whatever it may be? Take a stab at it. I don't have a clue.
Thanks
Chuck

Offline Ed Flinn

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
    • Gallienus and more
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 05:29:59 am »
The one on the right looks like a coiled snake design that was used for a number of emperors, in a number of cities.  I have two minted for Gallienus, an AE23 from Augusta Traiana in Thrace and an AE27 from Serdica, also in Thrace:

Offline chuck p

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 09:13:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply Ed. I really don't think that is it though. If it is a roman it is of a style that I haven't encountered yet. This is the best I can make out of it.
chuck

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 06:21:13 am »
It's a coin all right, but I don't think it's Roman; I haven't come across that particular type of thick cast flan from the empire. I don't know when they came in; I've seen Byzantine examples often enough, and from other cultures of that era.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: not romans
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 04:40:09 pm »
Hi

The one above on the right which is also drawn below is an Ottoman AE Mangir. However to find out about the date and mint the obverse is needed. The one above on the left is not an Umayyad coin, but I do not know what it is. It could be Fatimid.

Burak

Offline chuck p

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 12:15:25 am »
Thank you so much for your kind response, Burak. Can you recommend a  good site that I might research these coins? I will attach a scan of the other side of these, though I don't know if it will be of any help. Again, thank you.

Chuck

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 03:06:51 pm »
Well for Ottoman Mangirs there isnt much online I am afraid. There is an excellent book though. Try www.zeno.ru

But if you get the obverse done then I can ID it

Burak

Offline chuck p

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 12:27:36 am »
That is the obverse in the last post. I enhanced it a little to get the detail that is showing. It is not that good in hand. Sorry I can't help more. Thanks for the link to the book.
chuck

All coins are guaranteed for eternity