Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: FOLLOW UP on GERMANICUS PORTRAIT AT AUCTION 8.1 Million USD  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
FOLLOW UP on GERMANICUS PORTRAIT AT AUCTION 8.1 Million USD
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:38:46 pm »
https://nordonart.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/roman-bust-tops-8-1-million-in-determined-and-defiant-bidding-war/#comment-1822

I have always loved Julio Claudian portraits in the round, but of course cant afford them, but I follow them like a kid that saves baseball cards.   That is what is great about Roman Numismatics and especially 1st century RIC coins.  They are affordable.   Well, enjoy the link from Dec. 8th 2012.

Joe Geranio
JCIA
CCAESAR

Offline Joe S2

• Praetorian
Re: FOLLOW UP on GERMANICUS PORTRAIT AT AUCTION 8.1 Million USD
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »
It s sad to think that this will probably be locked up in someone's home and others won't enjoy it.  I hope the buyer puts it in a museum...

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:15:53 pm »
That would be nice to have in a museum.  Many private collectors do loan them out.  Some do not.
CCAESAR

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:26:33 am »
It s sad to think that this will probably be locked up in someone's home and others won't enjoy it.  I hope the buyer puts it in a museum...

I think that if you've added $8 million cash into the real economy, which will probably get spent by the seller on house upgrades, cars, restaurants and any end of goods that employ ordinary people, you've paid a more than reasonable price to the community to be allowed to enjoy looking at that bust at home for a few years. Money is somehow a measure of value and has alternative practical uses. Were the bust worth more to mankind in a museum, in terms of learning and enjoyment, then I suppose any national government might have offered $9 million for it, and taken the money from the schools and arts budgets. So I guess the bust has ended up in the right hands, those of the person who values it most.

That would be nice to have in a museum.  Many private collectors do loan them out.  Some do not.

Indeed that would be wonderful, but I suspect it's not so often as you might imagine. I think if you pay the price, you're entitled to keep it in the kitchen if you wish. Michael Winckless is a rare example of a collector who paid the price for a coin that's not at home but now visible in the British museum. The coin below:

The whole issue of collectors, long-term loans and donations to museums is of course very complex. Whatever the object, it almost always has to have a long provenance for a museum to accept it. The Winckless EID MAR has a very old provenance, before 1950s at least, as an article was written about the coin around then.

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:53:46 am »
Great Points Andrew.   I guess you could also use the argument that some folks look at someone who buys a rare ancient coin for 200.000 USD and keeps it at home, I dont want to be a hypocrite about it, I love my coins and want them where I can look at them in privacy if I want to, its all so relative?
CCAESAR

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 04:13:10 am »
Why sad. Because its in private hands ?. How many collections and rare and beautiful objects are in private hands. Hundreds of thousands. Do we have to feel depressed because of that ?.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity