Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: fused coins  (Read 9111 times)

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
fused coins
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:36:21 am »
Hi everyone
Anyone knows a how to separate fused coin and keep the patina intact?So far I tried freezing and then trowing in  boiling water with the coin from the photo several times no effect at all, electrolysis works but strips the patina.Any help will be welcome

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: fused coins
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:44 am »
Have you tried simply prying them apart? Chances are that the sandwiched section is corroded all to heck anyway. How bout super long soaks in DW...or for that matter, simple soaks in soapy water? (I prefer dawn for this)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:10:44 pm »
I don't think soaks in soapy water will  work ,the corroded substance is hard as cement I tried to force a needle between them no success at all.I start considering to give them a hummer hit sideways with the hope at least one will survive . Is there anyone who knows what they are doing with bronze coin hoards I think that hoard coins should be fuse like this coins

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 04:45:34 pm »
It is pretty common to get Chinese coins fused like this.
 All the above suggestions will work at different times.  Some time in a bowl of vinegar can help, but must be monitored as it will often remove the patina.
In cases where the coins are completely fused and nothing else works, soaking in distiller water, then freezing, then a hammer hit to the side of the stack (wrap them in a towel first) can work wonders and save the patina.  Be prepared for some breakage, but not as much as if you just try prying the coins apart.  You need to hit the stack almost twice as hard as you think would be wise, but not so hard as to chip or deform the edges.  Good luck.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 04:54:51 pm »
Why not try boiling them in distilled water?

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 06:28:02 pm »
Why separate them?

I'd simply clean up the outer faces of each to make a nice example of fused coins from an ancient hoard. This would be more interesting and I dare say more valuable ( if value is a consideration) than two separate damaged and likely crappy coins.

In my opinion too much of this sort of stuff is cleaned beyond the last inch of its life to become little more than old junk of limited interest and no appeal to the imagination.

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:49 pm »
Why separate them?

I'd simply clean up the outer faces of each to make a nice example of fused coins from an ancient hoard. This woul be more interesting and I dare say more valuable ( if value is a consideration) than two separate damaged and likely crappy coins.

In my opinion too much of this sort of stuff is cleaned beyond the last inch of its life to become little more than old junk of limited interest and no imagination.

I will second this statement.  There is something very interesting about a clump, ESP if you think the individual coins are worn or corroded beyond something with nice eye appeal.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »
Why separate them?

I'd simply clean up the outer faces of each to make a nice example of fused coins from an ancient hoard. This woul be more interesting and I dare say more valuable ( if value is a consideration) than two separate damaged and likely crappy coins.

In my opinion too much of this sort of stuff is cleaned beyond the last inch of its life to become little more than old junk of limited interest and no imagination.

Good call.  I didn't even think to suggest this.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:08:12 pm »
I agree not to separate them, Makes for a more interesting coin(s)

I had this one but traded it :-\

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67032

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:13:29 pm »
Aye, I popped apart two coins and wish I didn't. They are corroded messes anyways and would have been better leaving them fused.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:37:06 pm »
Aye, I popped apart two coins and wish I didn't. They are corroded messes anyways and would have been better leaving them fused.

Good lesson... cleaning and fiddling with sort of material will often destroy, or degrade, an item of some intrinsic interest, or merit. Before doing anything the question has to be asked 'What do I hope to achieve and is this expectation realistic given the state of the item?' Frequently the honest answer will be that it is better to leave well alone and enjoy it for what it is in its uncleaned, or partially cleaned state. In the final analysis, no amount of cleaning and fiddling will turn the proverbial sow's ear into a silk purse, so it may prove better to maintain it as a nice example of a sow's ear.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:50:46 pm »
Part of the allure of collecting ancients is the pure intrigue of time itself.

What better way to embrace and share this dimension than by seeing two coins fused together by "time"

-Kurt

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 01:55:38 am »
I agree with all you said above but as these are cheap AE 4 coins there are of no value to me  and I will use them to train myself how to separate  fused coins because if I find let say two sesterti fused together I dont think I will resist the temptation to separate them ;D.Thanks for all advises 

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 02:29:12 am »
Wishing you good luck then.

If you have any success and have the time, please post pictures of the results.

Thumbsup,

Kurt

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:17:57 am »
This is the result .I wrap them in towel then hummer hits.They separated very easily .Once again special thanks to crawforde for the advice

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 05:52:10 pm »
Why separate them?

I'd simply clean up the outer faces of each to make a nice example of fused coins from an ancient hoard. This would be more interesting and I dare say more valuable ( if value is a consideration) than two separate damaged and likely crappy coins.

In my opinion too much of this sort of stuff is cleaned beyond the last inch of its life to become little more than old junk of limited interest and no appeal to the imagination.

The coins appear to be of the Valentinian/Valens "SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE" type, and are quite common.
So yes, to have them in this conjoined state with some improvement done to the exposed surfaces will be something original.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity