Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Lead Flans

(1/4) > >>

Aarmale:
There are some coins of Jannaeus that have lead flans when they shouldn't.
This coin is made out of lead, although it was struck with dies of the Jananeus Anchor-Star type.

This type has a regular obverse for these lead pieces, but it is muled with a double cornucopia.

Does anyone know why these exist?

Thanks,
Aarmale

cmcdon0923:
Speaking of lead flans....

A few weeks ago I attended a local show here in the Dallas area and one of the larger ancients dealers was in attendance.  I always like to look through his "goodie bags" for discounted items.  In going through one of the bags I came across a flip labeled "Judaea / Alexander Jannaeus / lead prutah"

The price was right so I put the coin off to the side and kept looking....picking out a decent Pilate piece and a Hendin 494 prutah of Herod I.

After I got home, I examined the lead coin closer, and it appears to be a blank flan.  What I thought was a remnant of the obverse design appears to be the raised center dot prevelant of the cast flans.  The reverse is completely flat and devoid of any trace of a legend.  The "coin" weighs 4.8 grams.

The flan is still thick and rounded when viewed from the edge, consistent with never having been struck and subsequently flattened by the force of the blow.

Thought??  Comments ??

Aarmale:
Very interesting!  Prutah flans have been found, though they are rare.  I have never heard of an unstruck lead piece! 
Do you have pictures?
I think the lead coins are the most mysterious Hasmonean pieces.

Here is a prutah flan:

-Aarmale

cmcdon0923:
I don't have a pic at the moment as everything is in the bank safe deposit due to us leaving for a cruise in two days. 

But, other than it not having a pronounced "fish tail" like that one, it's very close....especially the pronounced dot like in the photo.  It's also a nice light lead gray color with "desert patina".

Robert_Brenchley:
There are lead coins of other rulers as well; I have one of Obodas III of Nabataea. If I remember correctly, they're all found in Transjordan. The interesting thing about the Jannaeus coins is that they're a different type to his AE's. They're a bit of a mystery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version