Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Heads OTD  (Read 901 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Heads OTD
« on: July 12, 2010, 01:36:45 pm »
One of the most beautiful of Roman Republican types IMHO and one I've been after, for a good price, for a while. I finally managed to nail one for what I consider a great price a couple of weeks ago and while I'm still waiting to recieve it, I wanted to share it here! So here goes......

L. Cassius Q.f. Longinus Denarius 78 b.c. 
L. Cassius Q.f. Longinus AR Denarius. 78 BC. Head of Libera left, L CASSI Q.F. behind / Head of Bacchus right, thrysus over shoulder Crawford 386/1; Syd 779.

3.92gm

Bart V

Re: Heads OTD
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:56:00 pm »
Great coin indeed! The head of Bacchus on the reverse looks amazing. Congrats on a great acquisition!

Bart

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »
That's a nice example, sharper than mine ...

Things I like about this type include: Libera's fat neck, perhaps indicating prosperity.  And the division between an ivy wreath for Liber and a vine-leaf wreath for Libera.  Ivy wreaths like this usually include some flower clusters, as here, but vines don't. 

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:27:34 am »
Very nice one!

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:44:56 am »
Thanks for the kind comments. Does anyone have any idea which member of the Cassia gens this particular moneyer was, I kind find no reference searching through google.

Adrian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity