Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: enigmatic lead seal  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
enigmatic lead seal
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:53:46 pm »
Some time ago I bought this byzantine lead seal. Although the letters are mostly clear, I can make head nor tails of the texts on both sides.
Can anyone give me a hand?

Frans

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
Re: enigmatic lead seal
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:30:27 pm »
Interesting, looks like a combo of latin and greek, not sure if that is possible though.
Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

justinopolitanus

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:58:56 pm »
]ΚΑΙC?
ΠΡΟCO?
ΤΩΝ  ΚΥΡ?
???ΕΟΤΟ?
ΟΤΗΝΑ
??O?

KE??
ΩΕΩΑ
??ΙΚΗΤΑ
??ΑΘΚ?
CCΠΙΤΗ*
??

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:10:36 pm »
As I have it in hand, I might read some symbols differently, but the overall reading is correct:

ΚΑΙC..           ΚεΗΟ
ΠΡΟCΟΝ..         ΙωCωΔ
ΤωΝΚΥΡΗ         ..ΙΚΗΤΑ
ΙεεΘΤΟ…         ..ΠΑΘΚΔ
ΟΤЎΚΛΤ         ΔΠΙΤΥЖΓ
..ΛΟ..             ΚΛ

I am very curious to know what other see in it, and more especially what it all means!

Frans

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:37:47 pm »
Hi Frans,
The photo's of obverse and reverse are the other way around. The legend begins with an invocation 'Lord help your servant...' (Kyrie boethe to so doulo - abbreviated KERO / TW CW D), and then follows the seal's owner's name and offices. You can read his name Niketas [N]IKHTA in the 3rd line and his first office 'spatharokandidatos' - CPATH KDD in the 4th.
Regards
Gert

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:49:05 pm »
Well, Gert, that's a start!
Even with your reading, I find this very hard....
Hope someone picks up part of the rest.

Frans

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 06:58:30 am »
Yes, especially the ligate letters and abbreviations make it difficult, like his second title, in the last lines of the obv. 'Member of the Chrysotriklinou', abbreviated
'E(Pi)I T(OV) (XP)-gamma (for 'tri') / K(lambda)
The reverse starts 'KAI' = 'and', but I am not sure yet of the rest of his titles. The last line might give Niketas' second name.
Regards
Gert

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:48:50 pm »
I am fairly sure the reverse reads KAI EK / PROCOPOV / TWN KVRH / PPEOTON / O TOV KAT / PHLOPOV.
The only thing that bothers a bit is the spelling of Kibyrraioton, which involves some letter swapping (H for I and O for W), but I think this is wat is meant. The last lines give Niketas' family name. It turns out to be a neatly abbreviated legend for the man: 'Lord help Niketas Kataphloros, spatharokandidatos, member of the Chrysotriklinou and Ek prosopou of Kibyrraioton'. Coincidentally, Dumbarton Oaks has a seal of Niketas Kataphloros, spatharokandidatos and ek prosopou of the Thracians, with the same form of spelling for the family name. Maybe it's the same individual.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity