Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Wanted: Images of Tesserae

<< < (3/3)

Andrew McCabe:

--- Quote from: Ardatirion on January 30, 2010, 03:11:58 pm ---The elephant is not an uncommon theme on tesserae. Rostowzew catalogs eight with a legend reverse: AVG, C|ST, LAS (seventeen specimens in museums) L|N|I, MA, TFN, TMA, SEXTVS (circular), and CER|DO. Cf. Rostowzew (1903) 636-642.

The imitative piece does not fit with the main body of tesserae from the city of Rome. Its probably an imitation or temporary issue of some sort, perhaps struck during the Civil War?

--- End quote ---

This elephant clearly says TORQ(uatus) so would be an addition to Rostowzew.

The imitative Piso Frvgi with the family names FABIA and FRONTO seems to occur in some quantity. Given the double family names I'd suggest Duovirs of some sort, perhaps a city issue for some local games. They are quite well made. I've seen others. The source-type of Piso Frugi is imitated quite closely so some care was taken that it look like a current coin. Hence I hazarded a date in the 50s BC, perhaps from a smaller Italian city.

Perhaps they were given out at some political event and exchangeable for real denarii?? Like the modern scrip dollars.

Aleph:
Maybe you can tell me more about some of these tesserae?  Here's another one.

Pb, 15.0 x 15.3 mm, 2.70 g, 12 h.
Dog/rabbit

Kevin

Joe Sermarini:
We have a small collection that will be added to the catalog soon. 

Ardatirion:

--- Quote from: Joe Sermarini on January 31, 2010, 02:25:36 pm ---We have a small collection that will be added to the catalog soon. 

--- End quote ---

I'd better be quick to buy them, then!

Aleph:

--- Quote from: Ardatirion on January 31, 2010, 08:06:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: Joe Sermarini on January 31, 2010, 02:25:36 pm ---We have a small collection that will be added to the catalog soon. 

--- End quote ---

I'd better be quick to buy them, then!

--- End quote ---

Indeed!  Looking forward to seeing what you have, Joe!
Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version