Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Please carefully read the instructions below before voting.

Asia Minor Coins .com
17 (12.4%)
Gallienus
12 (8.8%)
Helvetica's Identification Help Page
34 (24.8%)
The PtolemAE Project
11 (8%)
Roman Provincial Coinage Online
23 (16.8%)
VirtualCohen.com - An online version of Cohen's "Description historique des monnaies frappées sous l'Empire Romain"
5 (3.6%)
What I Like About Ancient Coins
20 (14.6%)
www.snible.org ("Ancient Greece" and "Coins", including "Historia Numorum")
15 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: January 03, 2010, 01:21:56 am

Author Topic: 2009 Forvm Numismatic Excellence Awards Poll  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
2009 Forvm Numismatic Excellence Awards Poll
« on: December 12, 2009, 01:21:57 am »
Greetings Fellow FORVM Classical Numismatic Discussion Board Members,

Welcome to THE Final Polling for the 2009 Forvm Awards For Numismatic Excellence!  We will be awarding a Gold Logo to the website that receives the most votes, Silver to the second most-voted, and Bronze to the site that comes in third in votes.  If any sites tie in these top three tiers, they will both/all receive the relevant Logos.

We would like you to vote for three sites from the list of Finalists above in order to give the Silver and Bronze Awards as much backing as possible.  However, you may vote for just one or two sites if that is what you really want to do.  Please note that the board programming requires you to vote for all of your choices at the same time.  If you make a mistake or you change your mind, you may click "Remove Vote" (which will erase all your votes in this particular poll) and resubmit your choices.

The Finalists are the eight sites that received the most submissions during the Nomination Process that closed a few days ago.  We congratulate them for this and wish them the best of luck in polling.  Regardless of the outcome, they are all treasures of the online numismatic community.

As for the rest of our Standard Award Recipients, your hard work and sharing of knowledge is appreciated all the same and not one bit less.  This is why you received the original Award after our membership reviewed your sites in their own individual polls.  Since a site can only win the Annual Gold Award twice, there exists a great chance that you may see your sites in future contests.

Thank You and Happy Holidays,

The Forvm Website Awards Nomination Committee

FYI:  The "Total Votes" quoted by the board at the bottom of the Finalist choices (shown after you vote) denotes the number of individual voters, not the number of sites voted for.

Finalist URLs just in case you want to review any of them:

Certain sites have been given the Award for portions of their site, and these are listed in italics where applicable.  Sites belonging to members of Forvm's Discussion Board are listed in maroon, and their Forvm screen names are listed in maroon and parenthesis.

Asia Minor Coins .com (AsiaMinorCoins)
http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/

Gallienus (Ed Flinn)
http://www258.pair.com/denarius/index.htm

Helvetica's Identification Help Page (helvetica)
http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coinstuff.htm

The PtolemAE Project (PtolemAE)
http://www.ptolemybronze.com/

Roman Provincial Coinage Online
http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/

VirtualCohen.com - An online version of Cohen's "Description historique des monnaies frappées sous l'Empire Romain" (inperconst)
http://www.virtualcohen.com/

What I Like About Ancient Coins (moonmoth)
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/ancientcoins.html

www.snible.org ("Ancient Greece" and "Coins", including "Historia Numorum") (esnible)
Ancient Greecehttp://www.snible.org/greek/
Coins, including "Historia Numorum":  http://www.snible.org/coins/

This poll closes at 0000 GMT 3 January 2010.

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
VOTE NOW - 2009 Forvm Numismatic Excellence Awards Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:14:41 am »
Hmm, there's that fight again for the silver and bronze like every year.  Not that the gold is locked in either (I duck to avoid Dane's hand across the back of my head :-X )

Kevin  :)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: 2009 Forvm Numismatic Excellence Awards Poll
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:10:50 pm »
No no Pep, no fear of a slap - even I voted for RPC and another couple  :angel:

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:04:16 am »
Helvetica's spread sheets and all, not to mention how Wildwind has profited from her attentions, need no praise from me, but I'd like to praise moonmoth's site, for its wonderful special combination of very functional site working and excellent photography and interesting coins very carefully researched and prose so well edited and lucid that from the veriest beginner to an expert it is available, but without any "padding" or "fluff" of any kind, to all readers.  It's all his own writing and it's always with his eye on the reader's ease.  It's only competitor has been Doug Smith's, but a decade ago he hadn't the storage that Joe provides, so that his photos don't zoom so much or sometimes at all.  These two web sites, in my opinion, are almost in a class by themselves.
Pat L.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:06:17 am »
I heartily second Pat's comments. I love Bill's moonmoth site, it has the most interesting information about many types of reverses.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:09 am »
Thanks to those who nominated and voted for my site, and thanks especially to Pat and Dane for their praise of it, which, from such knowledgeable sources, is as good as another prize.  I am very pleased that my site seems to be working as intended, and I will continue to add to it and improve it.  And thanks also to Joe for hosting it here on Forum.

Of course, I voted for Dane's unique site, which thoroughly deserves the gold award, so congratulations again.

Bill Welch (moonmoth)
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:28:13 am »
my hearty congratulations moonmoth, and all the other winners and nominees!
the three sites chosen are worthy indeed, and this reward is certainly due.

~ Peter

PS;
i would have chimed in here sooner, but the post was rather ambiguous and i wasn't even sure if these were the final results or not.

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:18:32 am »
Thankyou so very very much for the award and to all those who voted for my pages. It really is an honour and makes it all so worthwhile.

The award decree as "Member of the Year" from 2003 (if you remember, someone made a lovely A4 "decree" and I had some photos taken of my daughter with an owl presenting the award to myself, both in togas (ok, bedsheets) and laurels (ok, cut out of green paper) and a "bifurcis furcis" (a toasting fork) to replace the sceptre) is on the wall next to my desk and I think I will make a montage of my Forvm Numismatic Excellence awards - I really am so proud of this.

Thankyou to all once again and if you're all lucky I may get round to finishing the late Roman Siliqua spreadsheet this year.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:20:36 pm »
Congrats to all winners! To Dane because for her invaluable help with her lists for all collectors of late Roman coins. And to moonmoth with his wonderful site where I always admire how he has managed all the different information.

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 04:01:19 pm »
Congrats to all three.  It is worth noticing that only the Antonine RPC has been made available pre-hard-copy, so that one needn't be under 50 years old to hope to be able to use it.  It was a noble experiment, and it is a true success.  This is not to criticize any others who didn't have the same kind of institutional support!
Pat L.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »
Congrats to all,  and thank you for the hard work, and truely great sites

cheers

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »
My well-meant congratulations to all three! As said before: lots of (unpaid) hard labour, but invaluable contributions to more understanding of and study into classical numismatics.

Frans

McBrumm

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »
Congratulations, the best sites have won.
I´m sure that was a hard and a lot of work to build the sites.

Specially Thanks to Helvetica for her list´s and her assignment in Wildwinds

McBrumm

Offline roth37

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
    • roth37 Editor on line
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:38:07 pm »
Congrats to all !!

roth37
Sergio Rossi
email: roth37@fastwebnet.it