Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: BMCR notation  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
BMCR notation
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:55:33 pm »
I have recently bought BMCR part four, because it contains many more coin descriptions than RIC, and I now want to put the new references next to the 'old' RIC and RSC numbers. Sometimes quite a lot of coins are described under one number. What is the best a/o usual way of noting down BMCR references?

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: BMCR notation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »
Frans,

I'm not sure what your problem is.

The BM may have multiple specimens of the same coin, each of which will have its own number. In that case you can cite either

a. all of the coins, e.g. "BM 136-140"

b. just the first, e.g. "BM 136"

c. the one that most closely matches yours in minor details such as legend splits, e.g. "BM 138".

The Catalogue also describes many types and varieties that are known, but are not present in the BM collection.

Sometimes these missing types are given an entry in the text, with an asterisk, dagger, or paragraph sign instead of a catalogue number. These you cite as e.g. "BMC p. 125, *". You can add the source of the citation too, e.g. "(C. 321, Paris)" or "(J. Hirsch XXIV, 1909, Consul Weber, lot 2563)".

Many bust and legend varieties are cited in footnotes, which you can cite as e.g. "BM 324 note", again adding the source in parentheses if you like.

Does that answer your question?
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: BMCR notation
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »
The last two paragraphs completely answer my question!
Thanks, Curtis!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity