Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lost coin  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Lost coin
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:58:33 pm »
Has this happend to anyone else?  I have long been afraid that I would eventually lose one or more of my coins just as a matter of course.  After two long distance moves in the last three years it has happend.  I simply cannot find one of my better coins.  I don't know if one of my cats batted it around or if it just fell out of a binder during moving but it is simply no longer among my collection.  I now keep my coins in boxes in the bank now but I used to keep them in binders.  I still hope I might see it again.  Its definitely an uncommon variety and a beautiful example at that, but it is a variety I might see again in the trade.  At least it was from a Mail bid sale so I have a good picture.

Kevin

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Lost coin
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:41:05 am »
Next time you move, try wrapping cling film around your binders!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:27:36 pm »
As stated above, I don't use binders anymore (because coins can slide out).  I was more curious if anyone had had a similar experience.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:01:14 pm »
I had a small silver coin (ca. 8mm) go missing somewhere between work and home.
It did come in one of those small open plastic baggies, I hate those. I crawled around my office floor, spent a good 10 minutes searching my backpack and even asked someone in case it had somehow made its way into the envelope I mailed that day, which, while not impossible, was extremely unlikely.
I know I'll never find this coin, the ones I lose on or around my desk at home I always find again, I don't even worry.
Andreas Reich

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:49:31 pm »
I was working on an uncleaned bronze with a nylon brush on a dremel and it slipped out of my hand and sailed off at a fairly high velocity.  Didn't hear it hit, which was strange because we have hardwood floors.  Searched for several minutes and gave up.  Later that day, I put on my running shoes, which were sitting near our front door, to go for a run.  Thought I felt something in my shoe during the run.  Stopped and looked.  Sure enough.  There's the coin. 

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:01:21 pm »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=46469.0

:'( If I hadnt lost them I would have done well in the competition! They were damn good coins.

Oh well, just have to order another batch and try again!

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 04:20:47 pm »
I was vaccuming out my car about 3 years ago when I heard a rattle of something hard going up the plastic nozzel.  I thought it might have been a 20p (I need them!) so I opened it up to look - and this is what it was ...

I had completely forgotton I had it.  I think I was showing a few coins to a friend once and it must have escaped - about 2 years previously!.  OK, not the most exciting coin in the world -- but much better in my trays than traveling around the countryside   8)

Malcolm

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 05:17:05 pm »
Quote from: Bacchus on March 24, 2009, 04:20:47 pm
I was vaccuming out my car about 3 years ago when I heard a rattle of something hard going up the plastic nozzel.  I thought it might have been a 20p (I need them!) so I opened it up to look - and this is what it was ...

I had completely forgotton I had it.  I think I was showing a few coins to a friend once and it must have escaped - about 2 years previously!.  OK, not the most exciting coin in the world -- but much better in my trays than traveling around the countryside   8)

Malcolm

You should clean your car more often  ;D

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:06:53 pm »
I unknowingly dropped my best Marc Antony leigonary den outside a coinshop...enough said.

Chris

PS I still scan the gound every time I go there...sure it's been 3 years, but you never know! ;D

C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 02:57:43 am »
Have you looked INSIDE the shop?
Andreas Reich

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 06:00:48 pm »
I once lost an EF Postumus. Aarrgh!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 06:50:55 pm »
Have you looked INSIDE the shop?

Heh...the only way I could get it out of the shop (if it were there) would be to buy it...and he is too expensive...(but yeah, for the first year I looked almost every time  ::) )

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 08:47:45 pm »
Lost this fella once for about 6 months. I had long sadly written him off when one day when I was vigorously vaccuming out my truck and Viola!, there he was between the seats.

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 09:32:21 pm »
Thanks, everyone- this makes me feel (slightly) better!  Thought it might be just me but I guess these things do get away from us now and then.  I hope to one day see my semis again- hopefully not on ebay... Maybe I should look in my car. :)

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:12 pm »
I once bought a French denier of Louis XV from a dealer's tray. It was not in a flip or 2x2 holder and instead of getting one from the dealer (which would just be wasted because I have my own cataloging method) I just put the coin in my pocket and drove home but when I got there it was not in my pocket anymore. I looked everywhere, retracing my steps through the house and back out to my car. I found nothing. I went through the car ever so carefully, looking in the seat, under the seat, on the floor behind the seat, etc., etc. Still, nothing. I drove back to the coin shop where I'd bought it and scoured the street where I'd parked. Nothing. I retraced my steps into the shop. Nothing.
So I gave up. Not an expensive coin but one I wanted. I was quite unhappy for a while but eventually I thought of it no more.
Then, about two years later, while travelling, I had left my car with the hotel valet. When he brought my car around and I gave him a tip, the valet handed me something in return: my lost denier! He had found it on the floor of the car. I can only imagine that it had somehow gotten into the seat as I drove home the day I'd bought it and it took that long for it to work its way out.
Since then, I have let dealers I've bought from put any loose coins in flips for me!

Fortunately, I've never had this happen with any of my ancient coins or, indeed, with any other coins. I have dropped a few LRBs in my office over time, though. They vanish into the pattern of the Persian rug on the floor and I have to get down on my hands and knees and feel my way around for them. Hardly worth the effort for some of those tiny little Arcadiuses and AE 4/5s of the Constantine boys, but I do it anyway!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 08:33:48 pm »
Dropped a Constantine AE3 pocket peice one dark morning when meeting the carpool.  Backed up my car so that I could illuminate the area with the headlights and proceeded to run over the curb and do about $200 of damage to the vehicle.  Looked for the AE3 anyway but never did find it...

Eugene
Eugene

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:01 pm »
Dropped once an AE15 to the ground when looking at it with a magnifier. I searched for it more than an hour and gave up frustrated. A week later when my my wife was hoovering the room - clic-clac - the coin appeared!

Best regards

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 09:53:55 pm »
Dropped once an AE15 to the ground when looking at it with a magnifier. I searched for it more than an hour and gave up frustrated. A week later when my my wife was hoovering the room - clic-clac - the coin appeared!

Best regards

I have had that same problem! We also have a several greenish persian carpets around the house, and I have dropped several Ae's on them. No chance you'll spot it unless you have bionic vision! Good tools those vaacum cleaners!

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 01:13:43 pm »
Lost three coins at once from my pocket in a hotel. A (good) silver Gallienus, Valens XF follis and Heraclius small bronze. Never recovered them. Another two coins (small celtic and a tibetan silver) were never shipped (but paid). 

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 01:28:29 am »
I know that it’s not a very popular option for most collectors but I store all my Roman denarii in oversized 32mm plastic coin capsules and secure them in place with ring gaskets. The gaskets are made out of EVA (ethyl vinyl acetate), a stretchable material used as cushioning in shoes, consisting of a rubbery copolymer of ethylene and vinyl acetate. EVA is considered a safer alternative to PVC that leaches over time, contaminating coins.

I collect all sorts of bullion, numismatic and ancient coins which I store in coin capsules. I chose to place my diminutive Roman denarii in oversized capsules because they were proving far too problematic to handle. They kept slipping from my fingers and rolling under my bed. It doesn’t help that they’re minted out of a non-magnetic metal which means you can’t simply search for them by lightly brushing a magnet over your carpet as you would do with lost car keys.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 10:51:39 am »
I was working to attribute a coin and it disappeared.  I found it five years later between the pages of a book I was using to attribute it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2022, 08:34:01 pm »
I lose coins frequently because my desk is an absolute mess. I have never lost one permanently, I always find them on the floor or in a book (the book thing is pretty common for me, as I am usually using more than one book) or just under something. It is frustrating, they are so small and so easy to misplace. There have been a couple times I was in an absolute panic over it because the coin was expensive (to me) or one that was extra important in some other way. The longest it has been is a couple of days, so I am lucky in that regard. I have dropped them on my deck more than once and been panicked that they would fall between the slats, luckily I haven't had to tear up my deck so far and I know I shouldn't be opening Forum (and other) packages while sitting outside on my deck, but I do. Or handing one to my wife to look at while on the deck.

Virgil

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2022, 07:17:32 pm »
Well, I've lost two. Both later recovered.  My dog ate one, which I retrieved after following her around and waiting the next day.  Second fell into my recliner and was missing for months.  Finally when my wife wasn't home I stripped the thing down as much as I could, turned it upside down and dropped it.  Coin dropped out from wherever it was.  I've also spent a fair amount of time on my hands and knees hunting under tables, radiators, desks etc.  Usually find those fairly quickly.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2022, 07:50:42 pm »
The dog story is hilarious. So is the recliner one.

Virgil

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2022, 09:36:58 pm »
Honestly, that's one reason I gave up on Greek coins. I sometimes can't see the smallest ones even when I'm sure I'm holding them. Someday, my house will be known as the Cline hoard for all the lost Greek coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity