Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin identified in Sears is slightly different....  (Read 1170 times)

LisaB

Coin identified in Sears is slightly different....
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:34:56 pm »
I have a Roman Denarius, Head with Laurel wreathReverse: TOP L Livineius BOTTOM Regulus MIDDLE is a bull "running", MINT R.
In David Sear's book: coin is identified as a Praetor, 42 B.C., Head with no laurel wreath, and corn between wheat? on the Reverse.
Trying to value coin and verify.....please help! Coin is in FINE condition. Happy to email photos although coin is NOT for sale.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Coin identified in Sears is slightly different....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:55:51 pm »
If you have a picture you should attach it, especially if you want a valuation.
Size and weight are always useful.

Andreas

Here's one that fits your description:

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The one in Sear should be this:

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

It's more than a slight difference though, it's a completely different reverse.
Andreas Reich

LisaB

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:42:30 pm »
Hi Andreas,

The first link shows my coin exactly and mine is in extremely good condition. I didn't realize that this was Julius Caesar on the front.....

At any rate, to whom could I email a photo for verification?

Lisa

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:33:24 pm »
Upload it here, there are quite a few dealers here that are knowledgeable about prices.
If you have trouble uploading a picture (when posting, click 'additional options') I can upload it for you,
my email is in my profile.

Andreas Reich

LisaB

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:42:16 pm »
Here it is. I had this 22k bezel added very recently and it can be easily removed without damaging the coin. As this does not have the Caduceus to the right, does this add value or detract? Any thoughts on value would be appreciated!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:06:34 pm »
Looks false, to me.
PeteB

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Coin identified in Sear is slightly different....
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 01:17:48 pm »
It looks like a reproduction to me too.

Lisa, where did you acquire the coin?
Curtis Clay

LisaB

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:20:30 pm »
Hi,

I  bought it in Italy whilst on a cycling trip in '07. Very small town antique shop. This was the only coin he had and he said that coins are found every now and then in the area by locals.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:33:01 pm »
Unfortunately such a provenance for what would be a valuable coin virtually guarantees that it will be a reproduction.

You might get a genuine coin worth up to say $50 in such a shop, maybe a late Roman bronze coin of a third-century denarius or antoninianus, but not a coin like your very fine Julius Caesar denarius that would be worth several thousand dollars if authentic!  It is easy to find out about such obvious rarities, so there is virtually no chance that they will end up in a small souvenir shop.
Curtis Clay

LisaB

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:36:25 pm »
Oh, that's too bad! When would this type of reproduction have been made? A local dealer here thought it authentic and in Fine to VF condition. I suppose there is no way to tell for sure unless some more people see it in person?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:06:46 pm »
If your local dealer is not an expert in ANCIENT coins, his opinion is worthless.
Sounds harsh but it's true. Unfortunately dealers in modern coins will still think they are qualified to
give an opinion. I once saw a cheap reproduction labeled SANDOS (by a p harmaceutical company)
in a shop that had modern and just a few crappy and overpriced ancient coins. It was kind of sad.

You probably don't know Curtis but he's one of the best there is, he works for Harlan J. Berk.
Just google their website and see what kind of coins they deal in, they're one of the biggest firms there are.

This method of selling to tourists is very common but these people are not stupid (but they are dishonest) and will not
sell a genuine high-price coin cheaply. It's still a nice souvenir depending on how much you paid and one that you can wear without worry which you couldn't do if it were real.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 04:26:40 pm »
Lisa,

By chance the coin can be definitively condemned right now.

The image is small, but here is the reverse of an identical coin to yours, from our Fake Reports, with the notation,

"Julius Caesar. sold as a genuine coin on ebay for £77. made from nickel, not silver."
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity