Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Three Coins, New to the hobby, Fake or Real?  (Read 566 times)

Igor B2

Three Coins, New to the hobby, Fake or Real?
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:05:48 pm »
I bumped into this seller privately (not over eBay) selling these three coins. The seller backs the coins with story - bought in Israel few years ago. Since my gut feeling is telling me to check this first before buying, I would appreciate any insights that the community may have.

Apparently, there is silver tetradrachm, 1623 Austrian 1 (dukat?) 14-18K (weight 2.2 gr)?, and Ceasar Augustus 22-24K (8.2 gr)?, without numbered value.

The reading off the austrian coin:

right    FERDINAN II DG   
center 1
left      MSAGH BOREX

other side

right    APCHID AVS DVX
center *
left      BVR MAR M 1623

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Three Coins, New to the hobby, Fake or Real?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:24 pm »
The Augustus not only looks very wrong, but as far as I can tell, is of an unrecorded type.

Steve

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:38:05 pm »
Only a photo, and not quite in focus, but that Owl almost could be a cast from the one in the Athens Num. Museum collection on which the Greek 1-euro coin is based (at a reduced scale).
Pat L.

Igor B2

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:48:42 pm »
thanks for the info, I am sorry I do not have better pictures. the austrian coin looked suspicious to me, it did not resemble gold at all. Ceasar coin looked 22K gold. the greek coin made me uneasy. that is how I joined this forum... :azn:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity