Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual Macrianus antoninianus  (Read 835 times)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Unusual Macrianus antoninianus
« on: September 13, 2022, 01:35:19 pm »
Hi all

Today i received this antoninianus of the usurper Macrianus.
It looks odd to me, the bust on the obverse looks quite crude and the lettering is not typical for the Antioch or Samosata mints.
More interestingly, the reverse shows the seated Jupiter (again crudely made), with a crescent (?) in the left field and the star in the right field.
All examples for RIC 9 i found don't have a crescent in the left field, but have the star in the left field.
I think it might be a contemporary imitation, or just made by a bad engraver. As the spelling is correct, i don't think it is a barbaric imitation.
Let me know what you think!

gr Luuk

Obverse: IMP C FVL MACRIANVS PF AVG, radiated bust to right
Reverse: IOVI CONSERVA[TORI], Jupiter seated, holding sceptre and patera, eagle at foot. Crescent (?) in left field, star in right field
Weight: 2.98 g
Diameter: 22 mm
Struck: ca. 260-261 AD, eastern mint
Axis: 0600 h

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Unusual Macrianus antoninianus
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 01:55:01 pm »
Since an article published  in the NC of 1954, it is usually recognized that the usurpers Macrianus and Quietus had two mints at their disposal : Antioch and Emesa (characterized by a rough style).

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 02:07:18 am »
Thank you, i didn't know that!
I've found a similarly crude style antoninianus of Macrianus, also with crescent - star acros fields, see below
According to the description it was indeed probably struck at Emesa. They appear to be quite scarce though.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 04:04:08 am »
Hi,
I've a collection of 11 coins of Macrianus and Quietus in my FORVM gallery,  including an example of the secondary mint Iovi under discussion.

It is not listed in RIC but,  more significantly,  not listed in MIR. The joy of the numbering system in MIR allows for missing types to be accommodated.  It would be 1735p in that volume had Goebl encountered it.

The coins of the cruder,  secondary mint can be grouped into three series,  depending on the field marks observed.  Below is a draft unfinished arrangement of the mint,  with MIR references.

I have been working on preparatory notes to publish a paper on the revolt and coinage of these two characters,  but that is some way off.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 04:20:41 am »
Blindado,  your linked coin is from the main mint,  not the second mint.  It is neater and also has the AEQVTAS legend.  The second mint is only known to me with AEQVITAS.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 05:36:07 am »

According to H. Mattingly’ s article of 1954 -page 59-, there is also, from the second mint (crude style), at least for Quietus, a reverse  INDVLGENTIAE AVGG with  the mark U / * .

A mint with a crude style also operated for Gallienus with at least the following reverse legends: RESTITVT ORIENTIS and VICTORIA AVG with different marks (dots, crescent, wreath).

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 09:44:02 am »
Quote from: AMICTUS on September 17, 2022, 05:36:07 am

According to H. Mattingly’ s article of 1954 -page 59-, there is also, from the second mint (crude style), at least for Quietus, a reverse  INDVLGENTIAE AVGG with  the mark U / * .

I have the article and  need to cross reference that.  Thanks for the reminder.

Mauseus

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 11:06:31 am »
Hi,
I've a collection of 11 coins of Macrianus and Quietus in my FORVM gallery,  including an example of the secondary mint Iovi under discussion.

It is not listed in RIC but,  more significantly,  not listed in MIR. The joy of the numbering system in MIR allows for missing types to be accommodated.  It would be 1735p in that volume had Goebl encountered it.

The coins of the cruder,  secondary mint can be grouped into three series,  depending on the field marks observed.  Below is a draft unfinished arrangement of the mint,  with MIR references.

I have been working on preparatory notes to publish a paper on the revolt and coinage of these two characters,  but that is some way off.

Regards,

Mauseus

Hi Mauseus, our antoniniani have matching obverse dies  :) see picture overlap below. The coins were thus probably struck (at most) a few days apart.

gr Luuk

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 01:35:03 pm »
I hadn't checked,  but yes,  obverse die duplicates. This thread has inspired me to finish the paper I  started writing several years ago.

Regards,
Mauseus

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 02:01:54 pm »
Hi all,

Since posting this a little over a year ago i managed to obtain some additional coins from eastern mint II (Emesa?)
I find the crude style fascinating, the uglier the better haha.
Maybe they come in handy for your article Mauseus  :)
The VICTORIA AVGG of Macrianus is not yet on the list posted earlier. Victoria is looking left in this case.

gr Luuk

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 02:55:32 pm »
Hi,

The two Sols with the exergue pellets are noted by Goebl. The VICTORIA AVG is new to me as I was only aware of the Quietus equivalent. A good catch.

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity