Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tips for detecting fakes in low grade Legionary Denarii  (Read 540 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul

Hello all: As I build a collection of MA Legionary denarii, obviously it’s getting harder to find the issues I don’t have. So, I bought my first non-ngc slabbed Legionary today, the Legion XI pictured through a known UK auction house.  18 mm, 3.66 gr. 6h. The 12 I have so far mostly are VG and F, with a couple of G and VF too. The style of this coin looked good to me and after checking the reviews of the source (a known Italian dealer), the Forum fake coin reports, and looking for die matches on asearch, I bid and won. The bidding took the price into the range of what I’ve seen VG-F coins go for over almost a year now. Call it paranoia, but now I’m seeing things that concern me. There seems to be uneven wear between obv and rev; the wear on the rev seems too even and there appear to be too few surface scratches on rev. Finally, note how broad the letters of the obv legend are compared to the rev.

So, are my concerns well placed or over-worry?

Also, in the grade ranges I can afford any flow lines have been worn away. There can be edge cracks where one can check for inside roughness. What I’m getting to is, are there things to look for in worn Legionary coins that I’m missing? 

Thanks in advance. 

Ken

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Tips for detecting fakes in low grade Legionary Denarii
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 06:34:15 pm »
Perfectly fine IMO. Usually, the obv. is a little more convex and the rev. a little concave, which explains the uneven wear. Have a look at what other people say, but I see nothing wrong with this one.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 08:49:01 pm »
Looks fine to me

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 10:47:13 pm »
Thanks fellows. I’m looking forward to having this coin in hand so I can study one that’s not encapsulated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity