Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown (to me!) early Persian gold/electrum? coin to identify!  (Read 603 times)

Offline Laurent R

• Praetorian
Hello all,
I'm, as usual, out of my depth!
A couple minutes ago, I was happily going along, tearing apart the wrappings on some nice ancient copper lots I bought for their early roman contents from [Removed By Admin], as any good coin collector does, when I suddenly, and wholly unexpectedly found something which absolutely didn't quite look like copper amongst my newest treasures.
My very little experience suggests to me that I'm looking at a piece of Persian low-purity gold of some sort, maybe a fractional piece?
I'm looking forwards to being told a little bit more about it thanks to your experience!
Thanks in advance!
LRC

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Unknown (to me!) early Persian gold/electrum? coin to identify!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 07:03:05 am »
Perhaps a Persian silver siglos with unusual toning.  Though the two incuses on the reverse confuses me.

Offline Laurent R

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 08:02:23 am »
Indeed!
All I can find on the internet are vague references to the existence of fractional Persian gold pieces.
Additionally, I do see that the two-stamp reverse types fade out quite early in the Persian empire, replaced by the standardized high-purity Daric.
That's about it though...

Any contribution to this thread would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Laurent R

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 11:37:28 pm »
Slight bump?
I'm still totally in the dark ???

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 01:12:25 am »
Unfortunately the „internet“, definitely is not coin-omniscient. You just have to consult printed sources, too.
Personally I consider this object a forgery

Regards
Klaus

Online Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 11:30:41 am »
... Personally I consider this object a forgery ...
I agree to that :-\.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity