Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus Caesarea Cappadocia - my first Type, need help  (Read 918 times)

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
  • Veritas? Quid est veritas?
    • Timestheus Collection
Hello dear forum, this is my first coin from Caesarea, Cappadocia and therefore I still have some difficulties to determine this one for sure. Especially since I know very little about the mintings so far. I would be very pleased about your help and thank you very much in advance.

The Mount Argaeus shown on the reverse is known to me in the meantime - there is a very informative PDF publication about it at Academica.

Unfortunately, when I bought this coin, I only have the following information: Septimius Severus (oh what), 193-211 AD, Caesarea, Cappadocia, weight 2.9g and diameter 18mm.

1. in some dealers I read that this is a diadrachm, other dealers write something about a tridrachm to this type. Who is right now?

2. unfortunately I have no print literature and can not find this exact type. Does anyone have a reference for me on SNG, RPC or something else?

3. the inscription on the obverse should read like this - is this correct?
AY KAI Λ CЄΠ CЄOYHPOC
= AV KAI L SEP SEPHROS
= Imperator Caesar Lucius Septimius Severus

4. the inscription on the back should read like this - is this correct?
MHTPO KAICAP NЄΩ
= METRO KAISAR ??? (NЄΩ]
= (the) Metropolitans (of) Caesarea ??? (NЄΩ)

Ok, I still don't understand the abbreviation to NЄΩ.

5. the inscription ЄTIZ is the time / date / year. But I have not found any comparison coin with ЄTIZ. What translation is ЄTIZ and what year is this?

I know this from my Electron Stater from Bosporos: https://roma-aeterna.de/roemische-kaiserzeit/m0110_pantikapaion_gold_stater_lucius_septimius_severus_pertinax/

Here I have the time ΓqV.
Γ = gamma = 3
q = Koppa = 90
V = Ypsilon = 400
Gamma (3) + Koppa (90) + Ypsilon (400) = 493
Dated year 493 of the Bosporan era = 196/197 AD.

But how did they calculate in Cappadocia?

Thanks already for any help!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Septimius Severus Caesarea Cappadocia - my first Type, need help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 02:17:18 pm »
Hi!

Caesarea in Cappadocia has calculated in regnal years. ETIZ = ETOVC IZ = year 10+7 = 17th regnal year of Septimius Severus.

Jochen

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
    • Timestheus Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 02:27:12 pm »
Hello Jochen ;)

aaahhhhh! Thanks!

ETOVC = year
I = Iota = 10
Z = Zeta = 7
year 10 + 7
year 17 = 209 AD

Great. Thats fine.

---
So the only mystery for me is the NЄΩ on the reverse :D
And what kind of Drachme it is.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 02:46:35 pm »
NEO is short for NEOKORIA (German Neokorie). And that was the honor to have 1 temple for the imperial cult.

Neokoros = Temple keeper, a high honorary office.

Jochen

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
    • Timestheus Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 02:59:12 pm »
NEO is short for NEOKORIA (German Neokorie). And that is the honor to have 1 temple for the imperial cult.

Jochen

Ah i think remember... you told me a similar example last months for 3 temples or so.
Ok... thanks for helping Jochen!

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:31 am »
According to the Ganschow etc. catalog, the weight and size of your coin makes it a drachm. Tridrachms are 25 mm, 8-9 g. No didrachms are listed for this reverse type for year 17. With the legends, date and type of your coin it is

Ganschow 444c; Paris 544; SNG Tübingen 4680; Henseler coll. 792.
The Henseler coin is 18 mm, 2.95 g.

The Paris coin (not as nice as yours) is here:
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8502904p.r=Cappadoce%20Atelier544%20544?rk=21459;2

I hope it is ok that I prepare your coin for wildwinds. There are similar ones on wildwinds, - one with CEPTI in the obverse legend and one with MHTR KAICAR.

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
    • Timestheus Collection
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 04:36:55 am »
According to the Ganschow etc. catalog, the weight and size of your coin makes it a drachm. Tridrachms are 25 mm, 8-9 g. No didrachms are listed for this reverse type for year 17. With the legends, date and type of your coin it is
Thank you for the confirmation.

Yes, I have find an interesting free PDF:
William E. Metcalf - Notes on the Coinage of Severan Caesarea
https://www.academia.edu/7336536/Metcalf_Notes_on_the_Coinage_of_Severan_Caesarea

He also has a good table with dates, weights, legends etc. and the denominations. Great, then I'm on the safe side. Thanks.

I hope it is ok that I prepare your coin for wildwinds. There are similar ones on wildwinds, - one with CEPTI in the obverse legend and one with MHTR KAICAR.
Of course, with pleasure, I feel honored for my coin :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity