Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kyzikos  (Read 804 times)

Offline Pharnabazus

• Auxiliary
Kyzikos
« on: March 22, 2022, 05:34:31 pm »
Hello everyone. I have never seen this coin belonging to mysia- kyzikos in any auction before. Does anyone have an idea about it?  Thank you in advance for your answers. :D

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Kyzikos
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 12:06:01 am »
Dear Pharnabazus and Board,

Despite its pre-Roman looks, your coin appears to be actually Hadrianic in age:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/1531

Nice find!  Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Pharnabazus

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 02:10:34 am »
Dear friend, thank you for your reply.I've seen this entry in Rpc before too.However, I do not agree with them.Because I've seen a lot of Greek-era Cyzicus coins before.Because where I live is 5 kilometers from the center of Kyzikos. :)The Kore on the coin looks almost identical to the typical Greek mints.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 08:35:31 am »
... I've seen this entry in Rpc before too.However, I do not agree with them. ...
Already in Hans von Fritze, "Die autonome Kupferprägung von Kyzikos: eine chronologische Studie", Nomisma X, 1917, this type is dated to the time of Hadrian. In all other references I know this type is also dated to imperial times.

But you are free to believe what you want :).

... Because where I live is 5 kilometers from the center of Kyzikos. :) ...
Is this a sign of special expertise?

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity