Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Bronze Document? / Hair? / Clothing? Ring? with Block Monogram  (Read 432 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
In a lot of Byzantine seals, I obtained an interesting bronze "ring" with a block monogram.  It measures approximately 28.84 in diameter and the metal is approximately 2.75 mm thick.  It weighs 11.8g.  The dealer thought that it may be a ring for a document, hair or clothing.  It is much too large for a finger ring.  I have not been able to solve the block monogram yet.  Any ideas?

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Bronze Document? / Hair? / Clothing? Ring? with Block Monogram
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 02:41:49 pm »
I have some serious doubts about authenticity with this object. The engraving has a modern feel to it, and moreover, the I on the top left is very weird, as I's are usually implied in monograms.

In the place of that I, conventionally there should be an omicron (resulting in a standard Petrou monogram). So to me it looks like someone copied a monogram from somewhere else, while not understanding it.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity