Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman period ?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Mario T

• Praetorian
Roman period ?
« on: November 25, 2021, 05:45:45 am »
Hi, all. I'm searching to confirm the reference for this oil lamp, and additional info.

Roman period, 2nd - 3rd century AD, thanks

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Roman period ?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 03:39:32 am »
Hi, Mario.  My references are very limited, but this is the closest I have found to the form of your lamp.  It has a loop handle and the myrtle wreath decoration on the shoulder similar to yours, but without the red-slip finish.  This page is from the RomQ website of Ancient lamps, reference collection.  Origin Tunisia or North Africa, AD 175-250.  I am not an expert, so I can not comment on the authenticity of the lamp, but I am concerned about the "fresh" look of the crack, and the overall appearance of the finish.  Also I have not yet found an exact parallel to the motif of Erotes with grapes and wine-glass.  Hopefully one of our other members, with much more experience than I have, will weigh in with more information.  If you have any information on the provenance of the lamp or views of the profile, that might be helpful, as well.

Regards, V-drome

http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/database/lamp.php?89
http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/lampcat/lampcat3.shtml#africa
http://www.romulus2.com/lamps/index.shtml

Offline Mario T

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 08:52:58 am »
Many thanks for the reply and  the links (I hope that the lamp it is authentic as it has been viewed and purchased by a renowned auction house)

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 02:25:46 pm »
I probably shouldn't have said anything, since I really am not qualified to determine authenticity.  If it is from a reliable source that is a good sign, and it is definitely a very interesting piece!

Best regards, Jimi

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 07:19:02 pm »
The lamps which inspired this type were made in North Africa during the 2nd-3rd centuries AD but I'm very doubtful that your example is ancient. The fabric, slip, handle and nozzle execution, misunderstood shoulder and discus artwork, and other details strongly suggest it is a modern copy.

I'm afraid that "renowned auction house" is no guarantee of authenticity - unless they have an expert lychnologist on their staff. I've seen far too many fake lamps offered by well-known firms.
David Knell

Offline Mario T

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 09:54:55 am »
Thanks for the interesting considerations

All coins are guaranteed for eternity