Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: odd Magnentius coin  (Read 587 times)

Offline clueless

• Caesar
odd Magnentius coin
« on: November 21, 2021, 08:41:20 am »
Dear Board,

I have here a somewhat puzzling piece of Magnentius.

The style is quite nice, but I suppose it is an unofficial issue.
RIC 310 cites a similar sized coin but with a column supporting the wreath and differences in legends.
Am I missing something here ?

obv: DN MAGNEN-TIVS PF AVG   A behind bust
rev: VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET C wreath inscribed VOT-V MVL-X

mintmark TRP

diameter 16 mm
weight 1.7 g

Any comments appreciated !

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: odd Magnentius coin
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 09:22:01 am »

Unofficial, as on official coins  VOT-V MVL-X is only found in Arelate:

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 12:05:38 pm »
Probably unofficial, but ...

At Lyons (vs Trier) there are both column and no-column types in both full and half denomination types. Half with-column = RIC 125, Half no-column = RIC 143-144.

At Trier the full denomination type was also issued in column and no-column types, but as you say the only halves are RIC 310-311 with column (and per a footnote, suspected of being "irregular", presumably meaning unofficial).

It doesn't seem surprising if Trier might have issued half-value types the same as Lyons, but then where are they ?

I don't have many Trier photos to compare the style against, but certainly very well executed if unofficial.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 12:55:00 pm »
The reverse is not bad, but the portrait suggests unofficial product.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 03:01:30 am »
Thank you, all of you.

Clueless

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 08:26:00 am »
Another indication it is unofficial is the "A" behind the bust.

The "A" or "N" markings were introduced on the bronze Fel Temp coinage (which had three denominations), and appear to have been used at the western mints as a value marker (A = galley, fallen horseman; N = hut, two captives). Magnentius continued to use these A/N markings appropriately on his coinage.

So, an "A" on a 16mm coin wouldn't be right, and the size is also well below what would be expected for an "N" denomination coin.

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 09:24:21 am »
Good point indeed.

Clueless

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 05:30:47 pm »
I agree that this is an unofficial coin.

However, on the question of half-denominations, personally I don't believe that that was the case.

Bastien (1983) continued to believe that there were half-denominations struck - in other words two sizes struck at the same time.

However, based on a study of the hoards and the mint marks, Depeyrot (1992, Le système monétaire de Diocletien à la fin de l'empire romain, in Revue Belge de Numismatique et de Sigillographie CXXXVIII) disputed this and I agree with him.

I believe that what we are faced with is a that was slowly declining in size and a large output of undersized unofficial coins using similar mint marks.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity