Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius mule denarius  (Read 435 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Marcus Aurelius mule denarius
« on: November 10, 2021, 09:30:10 am »
Hi!

There is an interesting hybrid denarius that I have not shared here yet. Its reverse is by Marcus Aurelius, and the reverse is from Commodus
What is curious enough is that the reverse TR P IIII IMP III COS II PP /Salus appeared to be very rare for Commodus ( RIC 663 ). I was not able to find even a single specimen on the internet, wildwinds, OCRE, acsearch.  Imagine, all specimens on ORCE are misattributed as IMP II instead of IMP III !!!

Have a look: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.m_aur.663

Allegedly, three denarii TR P IIII IMP III COS II PP were recorded in RD horad (C.776).

But none of the Salus type with IMP III seem to have reached modern auctions yet.

Most probably Marcus Aurelius' reverse with Salus was mismatched with similar contemporaneous Commodus' Salus reverse.
I added this coin to my little episode 2. about Hybrids&Mules.

The link is here-

https://youtu.be/0AAofoRNwqU

18mm - 2, 9g - 0' ( the coin was probably cleaned in a wrong solution, so its surface has uncommon appearence)

Thank you for your time.
Z. 

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Marcus Aurelius hybrid/mule denarius
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 09:49:10 am »
Imagine, all specimens on ORCE are misattributed as IMP II instead of IMP III !!!

Not all, this is one of the coins listed on OCRE.

http://www.museuprehistoriavalencia.org/nomisma/id/es/39552

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 11:41:14 am »
Thank you Ralf! Yes this one is correct - IMP III!. I could not see it as OCRE does not always show the images from Valencia museum. So, I was not able to see the picture of this coin. I'm happy to see at least one coin of this type. Thank you for sharing!

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 06:30:33 am »
...I have just stumbled upon the same mule denarius in vcoins archives!!! Surely, this second specimen is very convincing. Now I feel much better about my coin...as I mentioned before, someone cleaned it utterly wrong, so its appearance is a bit weird unfortunately. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity