Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g  (Read 532 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g
« on: September 05, 2021, 09:44:23 pm »
I have been working on identifying this interesting Byzantine seal.  It measures 20.23 mm and weighs 13.42g. 
On the obverse is ΘΕΟΤΟΚΕ ΒΟΗΘΗ within a beaded circle 
On the reverse, I believe that there is within a beaded circle:

[ :Greek_Theta_2:  :Greek_epsilon:  ]
 :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Delta:  :Greek_omega_small:  :Greek_Rho:  :Greek_omega_small:
 :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Delta:
 :Greek_Alpha:  :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_omega_small:  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:

I think that it reads:  Theotokos, help Theodoros kandidatos.  It appears to date to the 7th/8th Century.  Am I correct?

Kandidatos was a military rank? 

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 04:58:04 am »
Yes, you read that right. Late 7th-8th century. A kandidatos was originally a member of the imperial guard (the later emperor Justinian served as candidatus for Anastasius). By the time of your seal it was a court dignity.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 11:15:27 am »
Gert

Thank you for confirming my identification of this nice seal!

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity