Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Oil Lamps identification  (Read 1041 times)

Offline PBA

• Praetorian
  • PB-Eins
Oil Lamps identification
« on: July 24, 2021, 01:12:03 pm »
Hi,

this are two oil lamps from my collection.

The left one seems to be hellenistic, Levante area, ca. 200 - 0 BC, 8,8 cm. I think, it is real, but I'm not sure.
I think that the right one is is SW-Asia, pakistan/Afghanistan/India (Indus-Culture) Middle bronze age, 3.000 - 1.000 BC.  5,7 cm. What do you think?

Thank you

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Oil Lamps identification
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 09:44:38 pm »
I hate to say, but I suspect they are modern replicas.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 08:15:21 am »
Me too.  I hope strobilus sees them at some point.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PBA

• Praetorian
  • PB-Eins
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 09:02:08 am »
These are two objects that i couldn’t exactly interpret myself. I bought both from dealers who generally sell flawless goods. At least the right lamp I thought for real.  ??? :-[

Offline Strobilus2

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 09:04:59 am »
The lamp on the left (moulded lamp) is correctly identified: Hellenistic, Asia Minor/Levant,  2nd-1st century BC. The black clay is quite common in lamps of this period and was produced by a reducing environment in the kiln. Lamps of this type are seldom faked and, although it can be difficult to be definitive based only on images, the surface and other details raise no concern and I suspect this example is probably authentic.

The lamp on the right (saucer lamp) is more problematic. My field is Classical lychnology and I know little about lamps outside that discipline - Indus Valley, etc. I see nothing in the images that suggests the lamp is not ancient but I am unfamiliar with lamps outside the Classical tradition and I cannot confirm its precise region or period.
David Knell

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 07:50:40 am »
Well, that's good news on the authenticity front!

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity