Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine seal  (Read 428 times)

Magistros

Byzantine seal
« on: July 01, 2021, 09:46:40 am »
Hi, Would anyone know the Saint depicted on the obverse of this seal? The legend is worn and incomplete

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
Re: Byzantine seal
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 10:56:10 am »
Hello Macerata

I would say it is the Mother of God Hagiosoritissa. Do you read ΠΑΝΑΓΝΕ in the second (visible) line?

Regards,
Iolkia

Magistros

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:59:30 am »
Thanks! Yes I think you’re right, I think I can make out ΠΑΝΑΙ on the second line.

Magistros

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 12:38:06 pm »
Would the seal date from around the 11th century?

Magistros

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 01:13:56 pm »
Here are some clearer photos of the seal…on the obverse …ΓΙΑ is visible to the left of the figure so it probably is the Hagiosoritissa.

Can anything be read from the legend on the reverse?

Magistros

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 01:16:27 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity