Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Coin ID Help Corcyra?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Greek Coin ID Help Corcyra?
« on: June 22, 2021, 12:07:27 am »
I posted this one a few months ago and the photo was horrible. Maybe this new attempt at a photo will be better. Coin in hand looks better than photos to me.

This one is giving me fits. I think probably Corcyra, but the ship is unusual. Closest I can get is Plant 2270 and Sear Greek 2054,

AE 20
6.66 grams

Looks like Heracles/Zeus on obverse. On reverse above ship I can see on second line of two:   :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Omega: :Greek_Nu: or something close to that.

Below ship looks like a  :Greek_Pi_3: maybe and to right of ship a monogram.

Thank you,
Virgil

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Greek Coin ID Help Corcyra?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:35:50 am »
Dear Virgil and Board,

It would be nice if it was indeed from Corcyra, but Amphipolis isn't so bad either:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_G-370

It took me a while to find an example like yours with the ethnic in two lines above the prow.  The condition of the BM piece is not much better than yours, but it appears to contain the same monogram in the right field.  This possibly means the other(s) in the left are the same as well. 

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:01:53 am »
I cannot check right now,  but if I remember correctly Corcyra being of Dorian origin used the genitive plural ending in ...TAN  while Amphipolis used the more comon for ...T :Greek_Omega:N.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 04:13:45 pm »
Dear Mark and Djmacdo,

Thank you so much for the responses. I am almost positive it is the same as the British Museum coin. Monogram on right of prow is the same and what I can see of the inscriptions above the prow are the same. I really appreciate the time you took to find that image. I will take Amphipolis any day.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity