Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celtic-Iberian #2  (Read 409 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
Celtic-Iberian #2
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:17:01 pm »
Some recently acquired coins were described as Celt-Iberian. I have looked online for a while and can't find any "Celtic" coins that look similar and have no reference material for anything Celtic.

The obverse to me looks like Tyche head right but I could be mistaken.
The reverse could be a cow/bull right but it looks more like a horse. I'm not sure if there is a rider on it, if not then there is some letters/symbols above.

This coin I assume is clipped and if so measurements would be off.
From side to side it's roughly 12 mm, corner to corner 14 mm
Weight is 1.78 g

Again thanks in advance
John

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Celtic-Iberian #2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:42:55 am »

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:41:36 am »
Hey Mark
My first impression was a bull mainly because the coins I was finding online we of bulls. The tail and and angles of the legs looked more horse-ish but my gut was still a bull. I think you confirmed that. My initial impression was there was a crescent above the "bull". But not finding anything similar was losing confidence in my first impression.
Funny it wasn't until I took a pic of the coin that the "rider" appeared. The head on the obverse was hardest to find but one I did it stood out really clear.
Per the first image you gave, do you know if it was typical to square these off?
I don't think my coin is in good enough condition to get any closer it's a good feeling getting it this close.
Thanks again
John

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 07:21:01 pm »
Mark,
I went through every Spain entry on wildwinds thanks to your input.
The first post with the 2 coins you said were probably Cordoba - I have no doubt as none of the other cities in Spain had the cupid/eros reverse.

However looking I ran across something - your suggestion is still vary plausible but the first coin under Obulco has a bull reverse and Apollo obverse - this one appeals to me a little more because the way the hair hangs on the back of the head.

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/spain/obulco/t.html

Could go either way, just curious of your opinion.

Thanks
John

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 07:37:22 pm »
Dear John,

Excellent detective work!  I think you got it (Burgos 852)!  The ringlets on both heads are distinctive as you say, and the crescent above the bull doesn't seem to be accompanied by another symbol (as on the Castula bull issues).

There is always the option of contacting Prof. Pere Pau Ripollès for his expert opinion, but in this case, I am thinking that is probably a little overkill!

Good job again!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan       

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 06:05:41 am »
These rectangular coins are contemporary local imitations of coins from Obulco or Castulo (you find both).
See e.g. here the numbers 84-87: https://www.tesorillo.com/oca/iber_sur/iber_sur.htm

Regards

Altamura

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 08:07:37 am »
Wow, I think you're on to something. That is really interesting. Thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity