Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE Head right (maybe)/prancing horse  (Read 492 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
AE Head right (maybe)/prancing horse
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:38:06 am »
AE 16.5 mm; 3.28 g
The legend is confounding me in my attempts to id this coin.  The obv appears to be a head facing right, unless one rotates the coin in hand in which case it can seem to be a smaller head facing left.  One of the reverse images shows the side/upper legend or markings better than the other, in which the legend below the horse is more visible.  Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.
Laney

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: AE Head right (maybe)/prancing horse
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 01:17:57 am »
Dear Laney and Board,

This looks like a Parthian issue.  After some effort, the inscription in the exergue started to match up to the second coin in the following list from the ANS:

http://numismatics.org/search/results?q=fulltext%3AParthia+horse

Try rotating your obverse counterclockwise until hopefully a left-facing face jumps out at you!

Okay, that is enough coin attributing tonight.  Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan   

Offline laney

• Caesar
Re: AE Head right (maybe)/prancing horse
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:45:40 am »
Thank you so much, Mark!  The head was indeed an issue, and I didn't know whether to describe and post it as left facing or right, or send a picture of both, or what.  The example you refer to looks good to me.  Thanks again.
Laney

All coins are guaranteed for eternity