Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Plastic envelopes in boxes ?

<< < (4/4)

Heliodromus:

--- Quote ---Looks quite nice but the quality of drawers could be a pain.
--- End quote ---

You are of course right! Reviews are not good. It was Walmart, after all.

I've found a much better choice though.

Given that I've already decided on my bulk storage option, what's really missing is a complementary display option to be able to enjoy a select group of coins. Some alternatives such as cabinets, trays and albums combine both functions of storage and display, but for a pure display I don't think this Vecchi display case can be beat. At $100 + shipping it's quite reasonable given Vecchi's high quality of craftmanship and materials.

Ben

Virgil H:
Yes, these are what I use. I also agree that 1200 coins is a lot and far beyond my collection of "important coins." My moderns keep getting displaced as I add ancients. But, I still love these cases and will buy a couple for my moderns eventually. They store well, they keep my coins and their tags and info in one place. I don't have to keep them in a bookshelf. Even if I drop the case and they go everywhere, I am still going to be OK. When the time comes and my heirs need to know what they have in my collection, it is all there. I used to have albums and I just hated them, trying to remember which coin I wanted to see the reverse of after turning the page over was horrible and I couldn't have information in the slips if I also wanted to see both sides of a coin. Taking them out was a pain, etc. And so on. I think if I had 1200 coins, I still would use these. I have modern coins in 2 x 2 stapled cardboard holders that also fit in these cases, but my modern collection is limited to only those I have collected as pocket change over the years and not that important and that collection is not growing, although one is an 1875 Reich Mark I got in change once in Germany. I still haven't found a better solution than these cases.

Virgil

--- Quote from: Anaximander on April 27, 2021, 09:08:05 am ---
--- Quote from: Virgil H on April 26, 2021, 10:54:21 pm ---I use Leuchtturn coin cases that each hold four trays. I use trays that will hold the 2" x 2" archival coin flips I get from Joe (each tray holds 15 coins, thus 60 per tray).

--- End quote ---

Leuchturm has so many products and variants, it would make sense to download their |catalog.

Virgil: I gather you are using the Leuchtturm "L" style case. Looks light and stackable, with a choice of tray sizes, including the square 2"x2" (50mm). This layout could be useful for daily handing, but to store 1200 or so coins, as Heliodromus is planning to do, we're looking at 20 cases -at something like €40 each- which may end up being a little too bulky, but impressive.

--- End quote ---

Virgil H:
I keep my excess modern coins like this, well maybe not this nice, but similar. But it would drive me crazy for coins I want to look at frequently or to show other people. I am totally sold on the 2 x 2 flips that I can put two small printed sheets from my template in (that I print and cut with scissors) while having the coin in its own separate compartment. But not this storage method unless I didn't look at them often. I also personally do not like the rotating display idea because I like all my coins readily available. Maybe if I had far more coins, I would feel differently. As it is, I like to open the cases and who knows what coin(s) I will select to pick up. I find the trays easy to add coins to and keep in order, even if it means moving a bunch of coins every time I add a new one. Sure beats doing that with albums.

Virgil

--- Quote from: Jay GT4 on April 27, 2021, 06:40:09 pm ---I used to keep my coins in boxes with 3 trays in each but the coins slid around a lot. It was also a pain to keep shifting them over one spot when I'd add a new coin to keep them all in order by RIC number.  There was also no way of easily keeping the old tags together with the coins.

Now I keep them in 2x2 flips standing up in a plastic box with lid. I have 5 boxes total. Makes it easy to access and organize and the tags stay with the coins.  Each box is specific.  The boxes are stackable and take up very little space.

--- End quote ---

Heliodromus:
The great coin rehousing is now underway, per attached progress photos !

My ziploc'd bag "overflow" is all done, and now removing album pages a few at a time and working on those. Judging by my 2x2 envelope usage (bought two 500-count boxes) I'd say I've done 250-300, almost filling four Whitman boxes, with another 1000 to go. Seems like the full collection might take about 20 boxes if I pack them in, or a bit more if I partition by mint and there's some empty space "between mints". I initially bought an 8-pack of boxes, with another 8-pack on the way now.

I'm doing this a as a multi-step process. Initially just transferring the coins to envelopes with handwritten labels, with no attention to order. When I've transferred all the coins I'll then order them by mint/date/type, and finally I *might* come back and do nice laser-printed stick-on labels for the envelopes.

I'm keeping the labels real simple since I'm only intending them to serve as an index for rapidly locating coins. My label format is basically 4-line mint+date / reverse-type / emperor / attribution, and this is the way I'll order the coins when I'm done - first by mint, then date, then type, etc. In some cases I add additional information that might help in grouping/locating coins.

It's actually quite a pleasant process, despite the somewhat daunting numbers. I get to handle all my forgotten friends again and inspect them under a loupe. My process is to "stage" the label on a note pad by inspecting each coin and looking it up on the computer (where they are easily searchable), then copy the info onto an envelope. Due to the - by design - simplicity of this process it goes pretty fast. If I at least do 20 per evening it should be done in a couple of months, although I hope to do it a bit faster.

Ben

SC:
Always nice to go through the collection again.  Also allows for a BD check.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version