Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC "R2" denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins  (Read 16744 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
RIC "R2" denarius - Ron C2's latest gallery coins
« on: February 19, 2021, 08:45:58 pm »
Good day everyone.  I'd like to introduce my modest Severan-era denarii gallery, which is actually pretty heavy on Septimius Severus coins, but has at least one example of almost all of the Severan era emperors and their wives (or will once I finish photographing the few I haven't gotten to yet). I don't have an Annia Faustina denarius example though (of which only 6 are known).  I own a few coins acquired here in the forum shop as well, some dating as far back as around 2005.

Here is the gallery link:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=51928

I've been collecting Severan era denarii on and off for about 20 years as of this gallery launch in February 2021 and hope to add more coins as time to photograph and post my coins permits.  I'm also still actively adding to my collection, so hopefully I can provide updates on a fairly regular basis.

Some of you may already have found the gallery over the last few weeks via my signature block, so I'll only mention my four latest additions to the gallery today as follows:

RIC IVa 60:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=168354

RIC IVa 107:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=168353

RIC IVa 142a:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=168352

RIC IVa 299:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=168351

As members find my humble gallery, I'd be more than appreciative for feedback and suggestions on improving the gallery, its presentation, or just comments on the coins themselves.

EDIT DEC 2021:

I've now expanded my gallery to include some new categories that I've collected, though with less focus than my primary collection of denarii of Septimius Severus.  New categories currently include:
-Third Century Crisis silver & billon coins
-Gallic Empire coinage
-Antoninianii of the Imperium Britanniarum
-Hellenistic period silver coinage of the Kings of Cappadocia
-Byzantine gold coinage

EDIT Feb 2024:

I've since added a couple new galleries I hope people enjoy:
-The Kings of Cappadocia
-Dirhams of the Caliphate of Cordoba
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Introducing Ron C2's Severan denarii gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 03:44:33 am »
A nice gallery Ron and very nicely presented. You have some fine examples in there, but I particulaarly like the Severus Alexander.
I always love the dedication that goes into specialty collections, and I look forward to watching yours grow.
Congratulations!

~ Peter

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 11:47:45 am »
A nice gallery Ron and very nicely presented. You have some fine examples in there, but I particulaarly like the Severus Alexander.
I always love the dedication that goes into specialty collections, and I look forward to watching yours grow.
Congratulations!

~ Peter

Thanks Peter! My modest collection is nowhere near as complete and impressive as many of the "household fixture" members here, but I'm proud of it nevertheless and put lots of effort into choosing and procuring my coins.  Some are in amazing condition, while others are compromises based on what I could locate owing to rarity or cost.  

One thing I will say, the cost of the coins I like has more than doubled since I began collecting, which does affect my rate of acquisition :)  And not for the better.  

Tough to say if that is appreciated value or depreciated fiat currency at play (!)

The Severus Alexander coin you mentioned was my first Forum purchase many years ago, if I recall.  I stretched to afford it at the time, but looking back, I stole it - lol.  I think Joe had graded it choice EF, but would have to go dig up the original slip to be certain.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 11:58:27 am »
Some nice addition, Ron,  +++

Congratulation...

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 06:24:17 pm »
Ron,

Nice gallery indeed. I look forward to its expansion. Please keep posting.

Tracy

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 06:39:08 pm »
Great start, Ron!  One thought: you might consider organizing the gallery into albums, either by issuer or portrait or mint or year.   That way, you could sort by RIC number, for instance; whereas now you are sorting by name of the portrait.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 07:06:58 pm »
Quote from: quadrans on February 20, 2021, 11:58:27 am
Some nice addition, Ron,  +++

Congratulation...

Joe/Q.

Thanks Joe, I have a long way to go before my gallery could even approach your septimius gallery, nevermind all your others!

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 07:09:08 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on February 20, 2021, 06:39:08 pm
Great start, Ron!  One thought: you might consider organizing the gallery into albums, either by issuer or portrait or mint or year.   That way, you could sort by RIC number, for instance; whereas now you are sorting by name of the portrait.

Great suggestion, I was struggling with how to sort by RIC number.  I have the original printings of RIC IV and do tend to use that as my primary catalogue.  For the Septimius coins, I have a common naming convention, so they tend to show in order.  I was debating moving the others to different galleries, though I've not yet mastered how to do so.  I do have some other albums for some oddballs like LRBs, etc. but they are really just a sideline to the Severan denarii.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 07:52:12 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on February 20, 2021, 06:39:08 pm
Great start, Ron!  One thought: you might consider organizing the gallery into albums, either by issuer or portrait or mint or year.   That way, you could sort by RIC number, for instance; whereas now you are sorting by name of the portrait.

I think I figured it out.  I just spent the last little while sorting the gallery into multiple albums and changed my gallery link to point to the main gallery instead of a particular album

I now have them sorted as:

-Septimius Severus gallery
-Other Several emperors
-The Severan Women

Should make it a little easier to navigate.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 08:10:03 pm »
Much improved - well done!! Note that your gallery link in your footer is to the Septimius Severus album, not your overall gallery

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 08:13:03 pm »
Thanks, I just fixed it.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 09:40:10 pm »
Just added a new coin to my Septimius Severus gallery, this time it's RIC IVa 104 from 197 C.E.  Nice bolt portrait with a trim beard, very high relief obverse.  Nice light toning on the piece.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-168516

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Introducing Ron C2's Severan denarii gallery (update 27 Feb 2021)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 06:45:38 pm »
This one arrived yesterday after a very long wait.  My first Aquilia Severa denarius, completing my quest for an example of every available severan era ruler or associated female, apart from Annia Faustina of course. 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-168515

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Re: Introducing Ron C2's Severan denarii gallery (update 27 Feb 2021)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 07:45:37 pm »
I think it’s a really nice gallery of Severan denarii. It’s a very interesting theme to explore. I’ve got a long way to go before I reach your standards. I only recently acquired my first Roman coin, a Trajan silver denarius. You’ve given me some ideas about sprucing up my own gallery.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Introducing Ron C2's Severan denarii gallery (update 5 Mar 2021)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 08:21:32 pm »
I've made a couple new additions to the gallery.

First is a rare example of RIC IVa 225A, P M TR P XVI PROF AVGG reverse.  Nice old toning and patina on the coin.  Good size flan, though struck a little off center.  Still a nice example of this type

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-168651

Next is a rather nice example of RIC IVa 167A, RESTITVTOR VRBIS - Restorer of the City (of Rome).  Very little wear on this example with nice crisp strikes.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-168650

Check out my gallery for all the coins I listed before I started updating new entries here :)

It unfortunately be be a while before I add more, I'm moving over the next few weeks. (pack, move, unpack, honey do list... you know the drill).

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 12:03:49 pm »
It would be crazy  of me not to compliment you on your professionally organised Severan gallery which has got be one of the best galleries in the FORVM. It’s like a virtual museum of Severan denarii. Your coin descriptions are succinct and to the point. It’s really the denarii which need to do the talking. Lengthy descriptions can be very distracting. I also like the way that you've shortened the convoluted and off-putting URL gallery link to a simple click. In fact, it’s that what got me clicking the link to your gorgeous gallery of Severan denarii. I just realised that I’ve already complimented you on your gallery. Just proves to show that you’ve got a truly eye-catching gallery of ancient coins.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 06:05:02 pm »
Nice gallery  :).  My first focus on Roman coins was denarii of the Severan dynasty, including the Julias (lots of Julias!). I started by compiling my "want list" and I was off to the races. 

Isn't it great how having a theme has a way of focusing the effort, learning the history and vocabulary, getting you into dialog with dealers, learning about auctions, and digging into references and collections

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 07:05:56 pm »
Correct reading PROF AVG[G] on your first coin, the second G being off flan.

On denarii this type comes from only this one rev. die, which was apparently quite heavily used; I must know at least a dozen specimens, including one in my current collection.
Curtis Clay

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 09:45:36 pm »
Correct reading PROF AVG[G] on your first coin, the second G being off flan.

On denarii this type comes from only this one rev. die, which was apparently quite heavily used; I must know at least a dozen specimens, including one in my current collection.

Thanks Curtis! I've changed the attribution accordingly.  RIC lists the type as either Scarce or Rare, I can't remember which and my copy is packed away this week.  I assume that must be true if they only made a single reverse die for the type.  Would love to see your example :)

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 09:50:47 pm »
Nice gallery  :).  My first focus on Roman coins was denarii of the Severan dynasty, including the Julias (lots of Julias!). I started by compiling my "want list" and I was off to the races. 

Isn't it great how having a theme has a way of focusing the effort, learning the history and vocabulary, getting you into dialog with dealers, learning about auctions, and digging into references and collections

Thanks Chris! I took a look at your gallery, and you've certainly branched out from just severan coins :) Very impressive collection!

I've long been a fan of the history of the empire, well before I got into collecting the coins.  I studied engineering at university, but used most of my electives to study classical history because I was interested in it very much :)

I've also learned that hunting for the right books is almost a hobby unto itself... at the moment I'm on the hunt for copies of BMCRE V and VI. 

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 03:50:24 pm »
Hi Ron,

Some nice coins again... ;) +++

I like it... :)

Regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2021, 12:10:16 pm »
Well I'm unpacked enough from the move to have my reference books on a shelf again and some of my coins unpacked, so I can continue to update my gallery

This one is a recent acquisition, and while technically not a denarius, I have a couple antoninianus examples mixed in to my denarii galleries.  If this becomes a trend, I may have to segment off an ant gallery by itself in the future. 

This one is a nice boldly struck example of RIC 389a, which is fairly scarce.  Really well centered strike, great portrait.  The reverse is a little crisper in hand, but unfortunately the die was clearly more worn than the obverse die.  Still a really nice ant though. 

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-169795

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Introducing Ron C2's Severan denarii gallery (update 11 Apr 2021)
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 08:08:38 pm »
That coin is a beauty. I enjoy the specialty collections and looking at the galleries of them. I am quite scattershot because I have such wide historical interests and have been trying to figure out how to specialize a bit. Very nice gallery.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Introducing Ron C2's Severan denarii gallery (update 11 Apr 2021)
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 10:41:34 am »
Here is another recent acquisition from Forum, a nice early Septimius Denarius, likely minted within the first year of his reign.  I really like how the early coinage portraits have more realistic beards, rather than the later stylized philosopher's beard on later coins - which many scholars think was a clear attempt to associate himself with Marcus Aurelius

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-169800

This one is RIC IVa 37, RSC III 359, BMCRE V W70, SRCV II 6320. Forum catalogue no. RS94729 and formerly of the Ray Nouri collection.  Nice mint lustre evident on both sides.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Introducing Ron C2's Severan denarii gallery (update 12 Apr 2021)
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 05:16:24 pm »
Here's one I've had a little longer that I find interesting.  It's RIC IVa 119a.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-169799

It's a fairly scarce SALVTI AVGG reverse with Salus seated left, with patera in right hand feeding a snake coiled around an altar. Salus coins apparently aren't all that common in the Severan era, likely because Salus was a pretty minor divinity in the pantheon of Gods.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity