Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Celtic, Barbaric & Tribal Imitative Coins Discussion Forum

Research regarding "Barbarous Radiates" (poor fabric)

<< < (2/2)

SC:
I have never heard the term "coins of poor fabric" before.  In English they are mostly just referred to as barbarous radiates even though we all know the name is wrong - they are not made by "barbarians" and it is an unfair and biased judgement to call the style "barbarous" as that implies a judgement that they are poor quality and amateur when many scholars believe that the style was an intentional one reflected local Gault-Roman art traditions during a time of increased independence.

As you are probably aware some scholars divide the unofficial or "barbarous" coinage into several groups depending on how far removed they are from the original - both in terms of module (size and weight) and in style.  That is why I asked about your definition of "coins of poor fabric" because some (indeed many) "barbarous radiates" are actually of fairly good fabric - they are of similar diameter and weight to official Gallic mint issues.  Others of course are very small, light and poor quality.

Can I assume that you are interested in any, as long as the are "barbarous"/unofficial and not official??

Anyway, are familiar with and have access too:

THE COINAGE OF THE GALLIC EMPIRE, Jerome Mairat, Wolfson College.

John A. Davies.  Barbarous radiates: a study of the irregular Roman coinage of the 270s and 280s AD from - southern England.

SC

Trajan07:
Good evening SC and thank you for the clarifications ;)

Indeed, I'm looking for any barbarous/unofficial and not official coins.

Thank you for reminding me of Davies's reference, I found his thesis on the EThOS site, it is a considerable work on the subject.

I have a few months of reading ahead of me  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version