Antiquities > Seals and Tesserae

Theodore, imperial kandidatos and droungarios but of what?

(1/3) > >>

iolkia:

Dear board, here a seal from my tiny collection that I can't find in my references. What puzzles me are the letters at the bottom line.

Our Theodore was droungarios of what or where?

Any ideas?

18.03 gr
26 mm

Regards
Iolkia

Gert:
I have no idea about this seal. The obverse has some questions as well: there's a cross in the middle, in stead of the expected theta. Could also be a letter phi. Also, the delta above is another letter I can't explain.

The last line would seem to be his command. I could not think of any likely solution. Could be unpublished of course. CVPIAC maybe? Could not find this attested though. Known commands starting with S do not fit (Samos, Seleukia, Sardinia, tou stolou).
Regards
Gert

iolkia:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Well, I have no idea about the unusual cross instead of the theta in the middle of the obverse either. Nor about the Delta. I have been searching for parallel obverses since your post but with no avail. The only explanation I can think of, is that it stands for "Despoina" refering to Theotokos. But this is wild imagination. I have no idea whether such monograms exist.

Regarding the reverse, Syria seems to be a plausible solution. I suppose we have to wait for the next specimen.

Regards
Iolkia

Gert:
Could it be EX or CX on the last line? In fact, looking at the letter size, X would fit better wouldn't it?
Gert

iolkia:
Yes, both CE and CX would be possible, although the other E in the name is quite different. I could even be C :Greek_omega_small:
Could CΩΖΟΠΟΛΙC be an option?

Regards
Iolkia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version