Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AE with galley reverse?  (Read 290 times)

Offline solon

• Caesar
Greek AE with galley reverse?
« on: May 14, 2019, 12:48:37 pm »

AE  15,   2.50g.

Veiled head of Demeter? right / Prow of galley,  :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Omicron: and rose above.

This coin probably belongs to Rhodos!  Is there any reference for it?

Thank you.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Greek AE with galley reverse?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 01:06:01 pm »
Very, very interesting coin!!! The Prow looks kinda Phoenician, but the Rose and P O seal it for being Rhodian.... I checked SMG Kek, and nothing similar...
     No doubt Arados will weigh in with any relevance to Phoenicia...

Great find!!!   +++

Lee S.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 01:11:16 pm »
ISEGRIM:

CARIA INS, Rhodes / rhodus. 304-166 BC. AE. Obverse: HEAD WOMAN R (STEPHANE / VEIL / EARRING). Reverse: RO; PROW R (RAM). BUD ROSE.
   1. 15.24mm BMC Caria p. 251, #228

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:44 pm »
Nice one Shanxi! I'm in the middle of doing the washing so didnt have time for a deep search... But this a type I didn't even know existed!  +++

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 03:38:35 pm »
It seems to be quite rare. In Richard Ashton, "Rhodian Bronze Coinage and the Earthquake of 229-226 BC", NC 146, 1986, he is talking of 8 specimens known.

Here is a specimen from the BnF (not listed in Ashton's article): https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8523722s

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity