Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Last Coin of the Year (2018)  (Read 971 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
My Last Coin of the Year (2018)
« on: December 31, 2018, 06:05:06 pm »
I just added to my gallery a medieval Hungarian denar minted by Matthias/Mátyás Hunyadi ("Corvinus") (1458-1490) in 1489 in Körmöcbánya/Kremnitz, now Kremnica, Slovakia, by Peter Schaider, oberkammergraf. The coin is type Huszár 722, Pohl 223, Unger 567, Réthy II 232, Frynas 34.40, and falls within Subtype A of my classification of these coins in an old Celator article:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152148

This coin is particularly interesting to me because the mintmark (O/P/rosette) is rare and unrecorded (a similar mark, P/rosette without the O, is recorded as Pohl 223-1, Unger 567b&e). I have not been able to add a new Madonna denar issued by Matthias/Mátyás Hunyadi to my collection in several years. It is a fitting lasy coin of the year for me.  :)

Happy New Year to all!

Stkp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity